On camera mic for HDR-FX1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 28th, 2005, 12:39 PM   #1
Regular Crew

On camera mic for HDR-FX1

Hi,

I'm looking for a oncamera mic for the Sony HDR-FX1. It should be an XLR type one. And preferably use the phantom power from the Beachtek DXA-FX.

The mic is replacing the stockmic, and is for getting primary realsound but also for soundbytes etc. It's going to be mounted in the camerashoe.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Thomas Hartz-Olsson
Thomas Hartz-Olsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2005, 01:15 PM   #2
DVCreators.Net

Sorry to be the one to break it to you, but the BeachTek DXA FX does not supply phantom power. I have one sitting here.

So the recommended mics would be:

RODE NTG-2
Audio Technica AT-897
Sennheiser ME-66/K6

All of these operate with a single AA battery.

Or step up to DXA-8, which doesn't quite fit as nice, but does indeed supply phantom power.
Old December 28th, 2005, 02:24 PM   #3
Regular Crew

oh so the battery is only for the pre-amps?

Oh well the DXA8 is only $70 more. How does it fit compared to the FX? Too wide or too long?

I have acces to lav's and other type mic's that uses phantom power, so that's why it'd be a big plus for me.

Any recommendations for phantompowered mics? Or are your current suggestions still what I should go for?

Thanks!
Thomas Hartz-Olsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2005, 02:36 PM   #4
DVCreators.Net

The DXA-8 is a bit wider and shorter, but will work nicely with the FX1.

For a lav I like the AT 899 and Countryman B3. The B3 I have requires Phantom, the AT 899 can go either way. Others will probably say to skip the B3 and go for the B6.

For shotguns, it boils down to budget, but I think the reigning champ around here is the AT 4073. Sound nice, it's small and lightweight plus it's a little looser in its pickup pattern than, say a Sennheiser MKH416 - which is a good thing if you're putting it on top of the camera.
Old December 28th, 2005, 02:53 PM   #5
Regular Crew

As I said I have acces to plenty lav's, so that isn't an issue as of now.

But I'm a little confused here. Possibly just because I'm not completely familiar with the different terms.

What I need is a NON directional microfone - you know like the one already on the camera. Just better and with XLR. And my budget is not big - but I still want a proper mic!

So please bring some suggestions. Even better if you could give me some direct links. Perhaps to B&H. Thanks!
Thomas Hartz-Olsson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio