Need a new indoor mic (but it gets complicated) - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 6th, 2006, 05:21 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter
If you compare, please let me know the results. I also own a K6 ME66 and am looking for a better indoor alternative. Ideally it should also fit my rycote softie mount. So I am very eager to hear about your test results.
Hi Tom,

What do you NOT like about what you already have?

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 07:54 AM   #17
Inner Circle

The ME64 is miles better than ME66 indoors, but you have to get it really, really close. It's no substitute for the MK41 though. The AKG CK93 would be a huge improvement over the ME64 as well.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 09:51 PM   #18
Regular Crew

The problem with Sennheiser ME66 I had was mainly that the shotgun pattern (hypercardioid, lobar, or whatever is the exact terminology for this mic) is sensitive to noise coming from right behind the mic. When the ceiling is low, I get some reflections that adversely affect the sound (sounds a little bit like recorded in a big metal box, somewhat "tinny").

I have read in this forum that a cardioid patter may be better in small rooms with low ceilings as it is less prone to picking up reflections from the ceiling.

Apart from that, I really love the mike. I had a beyerdynamic before (which had better test results) but I didn't like it as much. Mics like the AT4053a etc. may sound better but they are out of my pricerange.

Marco, how close? Close like 20 inch or 8 inch? Thanks.
Thomas Richter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 11:25 PM   #19
Inner Circle

I like the ME66 too, although it gets kind of a bad rap in here. It is not an indoor mic at all though. Keep the ME64 under two feet from the speaker if you can. It's kind of an odd mic. At further distances, intelligibility is still good (that's why I love it on camera), but the room's reverberation becomes kind of intrusive. These are usually two mutually exclusive things.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2006, 07:41 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Thanks for the advice. I would usually be less than 2 feet from the subject on indoors scenes.
So the ME64 is fine, but the AKG CK93 system is better (though at twice the price if you already own a K6) - to summarise the low end options (and stay within the topic of the thread).
Old January 7th, 2006, 10:06 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Quote:
The problem with Sennheiser ME66 I had was mainly that the shotgun pattern (hypercardioid, lobar, or whatever is the exact terminology for this mic) is sensitive to noise coming from right behind the mic. When the ceiling is low, I get some reflections that adversely affect the sound (sounds a little bit like recorded in a big metal box, somewhat "tinny").
Tom, At the risk of sounding exasperated because I keep saying this..:)
THAT'S ONE OF THE BAD THINGS THAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU USE A SHOTGUN INDOORS.

The Sennheiser shotgun, as pretty much every shotgun I know of, is a supercardioid.

[QUOTE=
I have read in this forum that a cardioid patter may be better in small rooms with low ceilings as it is less prone to picking up reflections from the ceiling.

Apart from that, I really love the mike. I had a beyerdynamic before (which had better test results) but I didn't like it as much. Mics like the AT4053a etc. may sound better but they are out of my pricerange.

Marco, how close? Close like 20 inch or 8 inch? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

No you want a hypercardioid for interiors, not a cardioid. If you can't afford a 4053, which is a fair but not a world class hypercardioid, there are several other hypercardioids, but they all sound worse than the 4053a.

There is a hyper from Rode, but I haven't heard it yet.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old January 8th, 2006, 06:18 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Sorry, my mistake. I meant to say hypercardioid, as opposed to the ME66 which is supercardioid (= lobar?). So this probably also means the ME64 is no good as its cardioid?

English is not my first language so I sometimes muddle up the technical terms up translating both ways ;-)

Thanks for all the help, I start to understand better why the sound I record sounds like it does.
Old January 8th, 2006, 07:34 PM   #23
Major Player

I'm the one who bought that discarded Sanken CS-1, and overall I've been quite pleased with it in mostly interior situations.
Barry Rivadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2006, 08:10 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Quote:
Sorry, my mistake. I meant to say hypercardioid, as opposed to the ME66 which is supercardioid (= lobar?). So this probably also means the ME64 is no good as its cardioid?

English is not my first language so I sometimes muddle up the technical terms up translating both ways ;-)

Thanks for all the help, I start to understand better why the sound I record sounds like it does.
Tom,

Could have fooled me. You write as well as most people here.

I made a little mp4 video you might find useful. Go to my site, go to the Article Archive, go to the video folder, download the mic tutorial mp4 video. plug in good headphones or play back over good monitors.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old January 9th, 2006, 07:36 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Thomas,
Cardiods can do pretty well in interiors, better than a shotgun anyway. There is a hypercardiod available for the K6 system, the ME65, but I've never encountered anyone either on or offline with experience with that mic. The CK93 I mentioned is a hypercardiod. There is also a cardiod for the system (Blueline), the CK91. You mentioned that a CK93 (or AT4053) is twice as much money as simply buying another K6 cap. I would say that the sound would be more than twice as good, but if switching to AKG or AudioTechnica is not in the budget I think you'll still be pretty happy with the ME64. Just my two cents.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio