All Things Audio -- topics from 2002 thru 2004 - Page 19 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Closed Thread

Old April 3rd, 2004, 04:10 PM   #271
Major Player

Ref. book for audio and 24p issues

Ran across this today. Thought it might be of interest to some. Will try and go have a look at it this week. Could be a "must have" resource. Or not. :-) Have always heard that the DVX, which it mentions, has sync drift issues after 20 min., and this book claims to have some insights into all of that.

If anybody is interested, the site is:
http://www.locationsound.com/proaudio/ls/SBOK0002.html

Marcia
Old April 9th, 2004, 11:14 AM   #272
New Boot

Basic audio adapter question (3.5 mono to 3.5 stereo)

Ok, here is the problem, my Optura 20 takes in a Stereo Mic input

I have this cheap Azden EX-413 mono microphone.

I have to plug in the mic's connector into the camera's jack 3/4th the way in to get sound from both the left and right channel. If I plug it in all the way, there is absolutely not sound. I'm guessing this is due to the fact the camcorder takes in a stereo input and the mic is mono. So I cut up a extra minijack stereo cable up, seperated the three wires. Since the stereo plug has 3 contacts, L, R, G, I combined the L and R. Then with the combined L and R I connected it the the tip of the mono mic's top contact. Then I took the ground of my cut up stereo wire and connected it to the ground contact of my mono mic. It still does not work, why?

edit: So in theory, this adapter from radio shack should work,

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F007%5F002%5F001%5F001&product%5Fid=274%2D374

Catalog #: 274-374

Provide mono output from stereo jack!

Accepts 1/8" mono phone plug
Fits 1/8" stereo phone jack

but the thing is, i'm going the other way around, mono mic to stereo input!
Old April 9th, 2004, 11:41 AM   #273
Trustee

Any 3.5mm (1/8")mono to stereo adapter will work.
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F007%5F002%5F001%5F001&product%5Fid=274%2D882
Old April 10th, 2004, 01:44 AM   #274
Major Player

anyone use the Sony WCS-999 wireless lav mic?

the Sony WCS-999 is supposed to be their comsumer level wireless lavalier mic.

Has anyone used it and can you report your results? ARe you using it with a XLR system?

I just bought one...hoping it's good enough for short films or documentaries.
Old April 10th, 2004, 09:48 PM   #275

Sound Forge 7 DVD's just about ready..

Gang,
We're taking pre-orders on the Sound Forge 7 VASST DVD featuring Jeffrey P. Fisher of the DMN forums. You can see a short stream on the VASST site now. This DVD has a special section dedicated just to video production, but covers all aspects of audio for video and covers a tremendous amount of music information too.
http://www.vasst.com/dvdproducts/soundforge.htm
Community prices apply.
http://www.vasst.com
Old April 15th, 2004, 05:39 PM   #276

Vegas 5.0 VASST Tour dates, locations, and agenda!

Folks, the Vegas 5.0 dates and loose agenda are posted on the VASST site, the agenda will show more in-depth when Sony officially launches Vegas 5.0.
http://www.vasst.com/touragenda/vegas5agenda.htm will get you there if you'd like more information.
Notice the addition of Toronto to this year's tour, and Orlando as well.
More, much more to come, along with some very exciting and fun news for each city. Stay tuned.
In three cities, we'll also be doing the ACID "No Copyrights" tour with Jeffrey P. Fisher in back-to-back dates, so it's your chance to catch a bunch of us on the tour. We hope to see you on the road.
Vegas 5.0 is simply awe-inspiring. Wait'll you see it in ACTION!
When you register, use the code COMM to receive special DVInfo.net registration discounts.
Old April 15th, 2004, 07:54 PM   #277
Wrangler

Registered for San Mateo and Acid. See you there Spot!
Old April 15th, 2004, 11:26 PM   #278
Major Player

Ok I got it yesterday. Works great. Nice quality.

But one question, this may apply to all lavaliers. I get better audio whent he subject holds the mic up to his mouth, than with it on his chest. That is a given.

Are there mics out there that will do an outstanding job while on the chest? I'm thinking about volume and quality.
Old April 19th, 2004, 11:17 AM   #279
New Boot

Apple soundtrack

Is it worth the money? I have a friend that is a pretty damn good composer so I can record his keyboard straight into the computer, but it sounds like a keyboard. Is Soundtracks quality really good? I am thinking I can use them in comjunction with each other.
Old April 20th, 2004, 10:35 AM   #280
Major Player

Thanks Ken.

What about this one:

Basic question: what gender connectors do I need on the cable? I am planning to run it through the Shure A96F on the camera end so I need a male connector on the camera end of the cable. But what gender needs to be on the mic end of the cable that connects to the K6?
Old April 20th, 2004, 11:43 AM   #281
Trustee

All standard XLR cables have one female end and one male end.
All standard XLR mics have a male output.
Any standard XLR device that receives a signal will have a female input. Standard XLR outs from a device will be male.

The only time this may be different is at some hotel PA installations to prevent someone from using standard cables to input a signal to the house system.

The other use for XLR gender changers is to convert an XLR to TRS cable between inputting or outputting.

Not all adapters are bidirectional, so using a gender changer to reverse the hookup of an adapter may not give the desired result.
Old April 21st, 2004, 12:00 AM   #282

Soundtrack is worth the price.
What you need to remember is that the sounds aren't "sounds" as you'd think of midi-triggered sounds from your sound card. They are real recordings of some of the best musicians in the world, recorded (generally) at the better studios available, using very high end equipment. They are actual performances, of actual musicians. Therefore, the quality is almost always very good.
Old April 27th, 2004, 12:45 PM   #283
New Boot

Canon XL1S Audio Setup

I need some assistance in understanding how to set up the Audio for a XL1S. I would like to use the on board mic and a wireless lav. I will be using the Senn EW100 for the wireless. I know the Senn has a mini out put. Do I need additional adapters or will the Senn plug in with a mini to mini cable, and all is well?
Old April 27th, 2004, 01:22 PM   #284
New Boot

Found it - I was of course looking in the wrong place!

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12726&highlight=EW100
Old April 30th, 2004, 12:24 PM   #285

Vegas 5.0 VASST tour officially announced

Hey gang, the official Sony/VASST announcement is out for the Vegas 5 VASST tour, featuring myself and Gary Kleiner. We've added a couple cities, but more importantly, added a FREE evening event sponsored by Sony, where we'll be showing quite a bit of software, and going over some of the new features and workflow of the Sony Media Software tools on the evening before the 8 hour VASST training day in each city.
Specifics, including discount information, registration links for both the free and paid events can be found at
www.vasst.com/mailers/sonyblast.htm
Don't forget to check out the Vegas 5 veg contest, some great prizes there, too.
Gary and I are looking forward to meeting you all on the road!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio