DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   All Things Audio -- topics from 2002 thru 2004 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/5703-all-things-audio-topics-2002-thru-2004-a.html)

K. Forman May 7th, 2003 01:30 PM

That should be sufficient enough for background noise.

Susan Highsmith May 7th, 2003 07:21 PM

type of mic you use

I’m curious, when making your films, what kind of mic do some of you use with your dvx-100? And do you have it camcorded mounted, boom mounted, or plugged directly into the XLR inputs of a recorder? When it comes to all the audio equipment/accessories that are essential for high quality sound, I am clueless. If anyone could write out a list, I would be eternally grateful. Thanx for any info you can provide.

Frank Granovski May 7th, 2003 08:21 PM

The Sennheiser ME66/K6 is pretty good, depending on what you want a mic for. I like to mount a mic on the tripod or on the cam---depending on what you want to do.

Christopher Go May 7th, 2003 08:59 PM

We use an Audio Technica 4073a shotgun microphone, Lightwave GT-10 boompole, and Audio Technica 8415 shockmount for our sound. Looking into getting a longer boompole and some windscreen equipment as well pretty soon. This is not connected to our AG-DVX100 however. Instead we're learning to use a double-system setup with a Tascam DA-P1 DAT recorder.

Check out Equipment Emporium for some good articles on sound equipment and sales.

Joe Gioielli May 8th, 2003 12:32 PM

Public Domain Music CD

I am looking to buy a cd of public domain music. What companies have you dealt with that you have been happy with?

Richard Alvarez May 8th, 2003 01:10 PM

"Public Domain Music"

Not sure what you mean by that. Music whose copyright has expired, is in the public domain... but that doesn't mean a particular recording of that music is... follow me?

Are you looking for "Royalty Free" music instead? Companies like Backtraxx and Mokol publish one-time buyout libraries... others publish libraries with "needle drop" rights.

There are also some sites on the web with people giving away short loops...

Marcello Mongardi May 16th, 2003 01:36 PM

balanced audio etc.

Is there a site that someone could direct me to that gives an outline of balanced audio vs. unbalanced audio (and any other info). rather than have you all write it out for me bit by bit I am hoping to be able to read about it somewhere and learn.

Thanks,

Marcello

Jeff Donald May 16th, 2003 01:52 PM

Hi Marcello, that topic has been covered here on several occasions and you can find that information by using the search button in the upper right. I know that Mark Austin, a Wrangler, covered it once in very simple terms, but was quite thorough.

Stas Tagios May 20th, 2003 03:57 AM

Some questions re AT100

Just starting to search for a good, low-cost wireless system. Have heard good things about the Audio-Technica 100 series, but would it be practical to wear the receiver on a belt, rather than attaching it to my camera?

I'm using the DVX-100, and its small, light body design makes it impratical to mount wireless receivers on. Would wearing a receiver on a belt cause undue interference with the signal?

Or would it be better to seek out a system with a smaller receiver (The sennheiser evolution 100's receiver seems more svelte but doesn't have an XLR out).

Any suggestions? Anyone using the AT100 and not mounting the receiver to the camera, but carrying it separately? Thanks for any suggestions and advice.

Peter Jefferson May 20th, 2003 10:45 AM

the bad thing about small cams is that theyres nowhere to "expand"
With the senn series 100 wireless, im actaully strapping a velcro strap onto my right forearm then strapping or clip the receiver onto my arm...
can et tedious, but as the leads are short, its either that or clip it to the cameras handstrap.

Aaron Rosen May 21st, 2003 02:53 PM

Quality

Is this mic similar in quality to the ME66/K6 combo?

Bryant Sentosa May 22nd, 2003 02:27 PM

What mixer for video deposition?

I'm interested in getting into video deposition.

Can anyone tell me some recommended make and model for mixer, mics, and PZM for that type of occupation.

I'll be starting out so price is a factor, but not the only one.
Since it is for a business, I'm willing to spend a little more than
the Radio Shack version.

Please see my post in "Taking of Business" - Article: Notice: Deposition Videographer

I have several questions, if anyone can help me.

Thanks
Bryant

Josh Bass May 23rd, 2003 03:23 AM

Booming tips

So that next time I don't have to do so much tweaking in post, can someone give me tips on using a shotgun mic, specifically the Sennheiser ME66, for recording dialogue?

I've heard about two feet from the person(s), and aimed at the collarbone area, not the mouth. Is this right? Should you hold the mic point down at them from above, or up at them from below? Does it matter?

I'll be using the XL1s. I've been using the MIC ATT 20 setting for Audio 1, where the ME66 plugs in, because without the attenuation I hear a background noise no matter where I am. . .just a basic nasty hiss. I also have the bass rolloff switch off--meaning the more . . .um bassy frequencies are allowed to be picked up.

The show I'm doing the audio for has to master louder than it should. I go for around -6db, instead 0f -12 (which is the standard, right?). Should I let it peak at -12, and raise it in post? Is this better than raising it so that it peaks at -6 while recording?

Apparently I have no idea what the hell I'm doing. Please help!

Christopher Go May 23rd, 2003 05:02 AM

Hey Josh, might want to check out Jay Rose's book Great Sound for Digital Video over at Amazon or your nearest bookstore. Some good info on booming in Chapter 8.

Then there's a collection of great articles at Equipment Emporium.

You should aim for the mouth getting as close as possible without dipping into the shot (some people place white tape at the end of the microphone so directors know when it enters the shot accidentally). One suggestion is to practice with a small flashlight in place of the microphone and keep the light on the actor's mouth. Should also get familiar with the dialogue so you can boom appropriately. Lots more in the resources referenced above, I recommend checking them out. I'm learning too.

K. Forman May 23rd, 2003 05:15 AM

I'll second Jay Rose's book ( I didn't even know he had one out!), that man knows his stuff. As far as which direction to mic from and does it make a difference? If you mic from above, sounds have a way of bouncing off of surfaces... like the ground. This isn't necesarily a bad thing, it just means you will have a bit more bass I believe. If the talent is wearing hard soled shoes on a basketball court, you will have to adjust for major reverb and echos.

Also... I believe that -3db is where you should aim for.