All Things Audio -- topics from 2002 thru 2004 - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Closed Thread

Old June 11th, 2003, 08:22 AM   #76
Major Player

Foam windscreen for ME-66

Any recommendations for or against different foam windscreens for the ME-66? I know Sennheiser makes two varieties (one with velour and one without). The Markertek catalog has some foam ones that are even cheaper.

How good/bad are the Markertek foam windscreens? I know Lightwave makes one, I'm sure it's very good (I have one of their equalizers) but I'm looking in the <$50 range right now. If there is too much wind I'm not going to be using the shotgun anyway so the onboard mic with its equalizer will work fine. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like Mikemuff makes one for this model yet.
Old June 12th, 2003, 08:56 PM   #77
Regular Crew

audio pimp documentary question

*****newbie alert*****

I'M USING A sony XV-2000 XLR (BEACHTEK ADAPTER)..AZDEN MOUNTED SHOTGUN MIC...WIDE ANLGE LENS...Light pretty good...OK THOSE ARE THE SPECS.

I'm doing a short documentary piece on a street pimp (i'm serious) and i would like to read your suggestions on the audio set up you would use if you were me. I'll be on the streets of bronx,ny after hours. I have an idea already but, i wanted to ask you guys what you think.
Old June 13th, 2003, 04:11 PM   #78
Major Player

i use a similar setup with my VX2k only its a sign video XLR box and a ME66. I get good audio run and gun style like talking to people on the streets etc. with the mic mounted on cam. i would suggest a windscrenn like one made by Lightwave or Rycote.This will make all the difference.
Old June 13th, 2003, 08:57 PM   #79
Regular Crew

cool, i was worried i would need a boom operator for this, which i could not pull off due to weird circumstances i'm under--I actually tested my set up out last night and the audio was suprisingly good when i watched it on t.v.
Old June 15th, 2003, 03:12 PM   #80
Major Player

Cheap foam windsock?

I rapidly decided that I needed a windsock for my new Sennheiser ME-66. More out of necessity than cheapness I've been trying to find something locally to use until I get something better. A trip to the local Radio Shack turned up a short shotgun foam windsock for $4 (claims to be audiofoam). By using two of them, and cutting the top off of one, I have a foam windscreen that coast $8. It was a snug fit and took some care to get it on but hard to beat the price. I doubt it will last very long but should do the trick until I get something better.
Old June 15th, 2003, 06:49 PM   #81
High School Student

I don't have a answer, but I do want to add to this with a question.

How exactly does "foam" cut the wind? I am just curious, but wouldn't that have little effect? I know it stops air from going through it, while still letting sound travel, but when attached to the microphone, directly, it would just transfer the vibrations over, correct? Is it isolated somehow?
Old June 15th, 2003, 07:23 PM   #82
Major Player

The way I understand it -

The problem is the pressure of the airwaves striking the microphone creating the wind noise. The foam breaks up the pressure waves and at least diminishes the wind sounds. The pressure would still push against the foam but it would then be distributed more evenly and 'cushioned' so to speak. At some point in time the foam is not enough and it's time for a softie or zeppelin.
Old June 17th, 2003, 04:30 PM   #83
Major Player

Sound and distance. Problem?

When shooting a two camera event in a large church, I have tried different methods of acquiring my sound. 2 wireless, on camera, shotgun, minidisk etc. . . I notice that if I only use a shotgun, or on camera mike on the back camera, that the sound is obviously delayed due to the distance involved from the front of the church to the rear. This often results in either an echo, or disjointed sound. I often have to discard the sound from cam 2.
Old June 21st, 2003, 08:59 AM   #84
Regular Crew

Sennheiser Evolution 100 freq. question

I'm planning to buy a Sennheiser 100 wireless system for use primarily in L.A., Ca, and after checking the very handy tv station frequency chart (listings of freq's in major cities) at the Lectrosonics site, it seems that the Senn 100 "A" (518-550 mhz) kit is the best match.

Can anyone using the Senn 100 in L.A. confirm this? Is the "A" the one to get, or the B (630-662), or C (740-772)?

I'm assuming that the trick is to pick a freq. range that has the least amount of channels in use for a given area. Is that correct?

Thanks for any info.
Old June 22nd, 2003, 05:34 PM   #85
Regular Crew

Hurry up! Cheap and great audio upgrade for your PC/MAC!

If you go to a Guitarcenter retail store you can get an Echo Mia audio card for $99 (until June 30th).
Most of them won't have it anymore but you can ask them to get it from another shop.

They sell it online for $139 which is still a great deal considering what you get (on eBay or other online store... it sells for $165...$200 !!!)
Echo has recently stopped the production of this card but it's still a great investment if you're looking at quality audio (recording) on PC (not for games/DVD!) without spending a lot of money.

* 2 balanced ¼" analog inputs with 106dB (A-weighted) dynamic range... can also be used unbalanced
* 2 balanced ¼" analog outputs with 106dB (A-weighted) dynamic range... can also be used unbalanced
* 24-bit/96kHz ... but can do any of the lower bit/kHz
* 24 bit coaxial S/PDIF digital I/O
* Supports full duplex 4 channel in, 4 channel out operation.
* +4dBu or -10dBv analog I/O on each analog channel
* Built-in digital mixer provides near-zero latency monitoring
* Support for WDM, ASIO and GSIF
* 8 "Virtual Outputs"
* Low-latency drivers

I think the biggest advantage of this card is the balanced audio (in and out) using rugged 1/4". If you add the +4dBu/-10dBv selection via software for each input/output and the virtual outputs system you have a pretty versatile card :

- Perfect for MD uploading using Analog Line Out of the MD recorder (some of you will say ... "oh it's not digital"... yes, but it's probably cheaper than getting a deck only for that function)
- Studio recording : using a mic-preamp (like MM-1) or small mixer you can feed the PC using long balanced cables and +4dB levels. Check the reviews you won't be disappointed.

Dany

PS: I don't work for GuitarCenter... just wanted to share that great deal with DVinfo community before it expires.
Old June 23rd, 2003, 07:16 AM   #86
Major Player

The channels are all selectable so you can select the frequency you want.

Ben Lynn
Old June 23rd, 2003, 08:13 AM   #87

If you were to buy the EW100 from your local authorized Sennheiser dealer in your area, you wouldn't have to scour the web to find out that information - they would know already and make sure that you purchase the correct unit the first time around.

Give COFFEY SOUND SERVICES a call at 323-876-7525. They are authorized Sennheiser resellers and they know what they are talking about.

http://coffeysound.com
3497 W. CAHUENGA BLVD
HOLLYWOOD CA 90068

- don
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Old June 24th, 2003, 06:44 PM   #88
Regular Crew

Camcorder with 4 channel input ?

Hi,

Do any of these pro camcorders do four audio channels
to DV ? I realize I have to drop the audio quality to
32 Khz, 12-bit, but really, I'm not getting a 48 KHz, 16-bit
signal anyway. I'd really like to be able to fix more of
my audio mistakes during editing. I'm not even sure
a video editing package supports this editing.
Old June 24th, 2003, 06:46 PM   #89
Regular Crew

Bug-like microphones ?

Hi,

I'm looking to mount some microphones inside some
sporting helmets to record the breathing and comments
of athletes. Since the helmet is receiving impact,
I need something small enough to fit inside the helmet
with a transmission range of no more than 40 feet,
usually 20 feet. I'd like to feed these into a mixer along
with other microphone sources. Any tips for sources
of "bugs" ?

Thanks !
Old June 24th, 2003, 07:07 PM   #90
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

The XL1 or XL1S with the MA-200 adapter will acommodate 4 channels of audio input.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio