handheld recomm for evolution G2 plug-in transmitter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 30th, 2005, 11:59 PM   #1
Regular Crew

handheld recomm for evolution G2 plug-in transmitter

I just bought the Sennheiser G2 with the plug in option for handheld remote
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

What is a recommended handheld mike for thus system?

I've searched the forums and I think these appear to be some choices:

Electro Voice RE50N/D-B - Omni-Directional Handheld Dynamic N/DYM Shock Mounted ENG Microphone (Black)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=102900&is=REG

Sennheiser MD46 - Cardioid Handheld Dynamic ENG Microphone
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=223940&is=REG

Audio-Technica AT804 - Omni-Directional Handheld Dynamic ENG Microphone
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...u=68197&is=REG

Audio-Technica ATM27HE Dynamic Neodymium Handheld Microphone
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...u=97708&is=REG

The first two cost about $180. The last two about $90. That's within my preferred budget. Anything more I get from the more pricey ones? Also any preference about cardioid and omni? does it really make a big difference when the mike is held close to the interviewee?

Thank you in advance

Maximo
Maximo Salaberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2005, 12:25 AM   #2
Trustee

For what purpose will the mic be used?
Will the mic be on a mic stand? If
not on a stand, who will be holding it?
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2005, 02:10 AM   #3
Regular Crew

interviewee or audio assistant mostly

handheld in most cases, and considering that I'll be a one-man band in many cases, even the interviewee will hold the mike.

Hmmm, I have a feeling that this will make a difference, but not sure how: is it because the mike might be kept too far or too close to mouth? or directed sideways? Maybe an omni is better in such cases?

Anyway, thank you for your feedback so far.

Maximo
Old December 31st, 2005, 02:15 AM   #4
Regular Crew

PS: for interviews

I forgot to mention mike would be used mostly for interviews (one person or more than one, latter case more viable to use this mike rather than the lapel). Also if stopping people on the street I figure a handheld mike does not require the set up of a lavalier. Also, in some cases I may be able to use both a lavalier and a handheld remote (with another G2) in cases when I can wire up a speaker and then leave the handheld for use with audience.

thank you
M
Old December 31st, 2005, 02:25 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo Salaberry
Hmmm, I have a feeling that this will make a difference, but not sure how: is it because the mike might be kept too far or too close to mouth? or directed sideways? Maybe an omni is better in such cases?
Yes, inexperienced users can direct it sideways so
best to have an omni.
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2005, 02:30 AM   #6
Old Boot

Maximo - I use the Senni MD42 with the same butt plug.

Here's the Senni Reporter's mic:

http://www.canford.co.uk/commerce/it...4_3001931.aspx

I've done exactly what you say. Works a dream. It has a kind of proximity dome of capture. The more noisy the background the nearer you need to get the mic to each speaker. The quieter the background you can relax a bit. OK, I've used this in conjunction with a camera mounted Senni66. This is adequate, but I do get that unfortunate and obvious wah wah as I may move the camera from interviewer to interviewee. I'm now considering lapel-ling up the interviewer with their own Tx and a separate Rx. Maybe. Big expense. As I have a lapel Tx setup I maybe in the market for a dual Rx to take both BUT separate attenuated Tx signals.

So, that would be my dream solution. Lapel Tx the interviewer and use the MD42 with the butt Tx and a dual Rx with 2 short cablings going into a mixer or straight to camera.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2005, 06:47 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Also look st Shure SM63 or VP64. The extra length can help keep the inerviewee on-mic
Old January 1st, 2006, 12:55 PM   #8
Trustee

If an untrained interviewee will hold the mic, or if you must use a single mic for two or more people including the interviewer, then an omni will work better. They are also less prone to wind noise, but should still be protected for outdoor use. A cardioid will give better sound quality when conditions are suitable, usually when you have more control of the mic itself but can't do anything about ambient noise.
The AT804 omni has good sound, low cost and high sensitivity, but it's very short and has a very 1970's look to it. I don't know if you'd have the same problem with a Senn plug-on, but my Lectro plug-on refuses to latch with this mic. This joint must be secure because it forms part of the antenna system.
The EV 635N/D-B (higher output and black) would also be a good choice and a little less expensive than some of the RE50 versions.
If you want about double the sensitivity, usually only needed when the mic will be on a stand at a greater distance from the subject, the battery-powered ATM10a omni is great at about $100.
If you do choose a cardioid, the Senn e835 is a less expensive alternative to the MD46. It is shorter, but has similar sound qualities. I recently recorded several presentations with one at a podium (also sending to PA), awesome sound despite the often not-perfect placement as different people would give their presentations.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2006, 09:34 PM   #9
Major Player

I'll throw my two cents in for the EV RE-50. It's basically a 635a inside of a bigger shock mount. It rejects handling and fidgetting noise-very good if people aren't used to holding a mic. It has a pretty good windscreen built in-good for outdoor use. You'll also see it very widely used in broadcast news and interview applications, for good reason.
Greg Bellotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2006, 02:28 PM   #10
Trustee

And I also forgot to mention the AKG D230.
http://www.akgusa.com/pages/pdfs/pre..._apps/D230.pdf
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio