DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Waterproof Microphones or a Hydrophone (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/57257-waterproof-microphones-hydrophone.html)

James Darren January 2nd, 2006 09:26 AM

Waterproof Microphones or a Hydrophone

I'm looking for a waterproof microphone which is to be connected to a wireless transmitter. Its not to be actually used underwater, it will be only picking up sound on the surface of the water but will be getting wet & often submersed completely.

It will be used on a surf lifesavers rubber inflatable boat picking up whatever they say. Obviously it doesn't have to be perfect but usable audio would be good.

Am I better off just using a cheap lav mic & waterproofing it with a baloon or similar?

Also I did a google search, what is a hydrophone & is this usable?

http://www.dcaudiovisuel.com/product...products_id/89

Greg Youngman January 2nd, 2006 12:20 PM

A DPA hydrophone is going to cost a bundle and hydrophones are for underwater use.

I have had success placing the entire wireless transmitter and mic in a plastic ziploc bag. Place the mic into one of the corners of the bag and place a rubber band around it on the outside where the cable comes out to keep it from adding noise from it moving around in the bag. The transmitter can be secured in an opposite corner with rubber bands to keep it from moving around.

Good luck!

Chad Dahlquist January 2nd, 2006 12:52 PM

we used to make our own for whale listening on Maui
a simple film can with a small mic maybe one of those squid mics ?? inside and seal it up with silicone put a small weight on it drill a small hole in the bottom of the can this way the lid is technically the bottom
make sure you leave air around the mic so it can pick up the vibrations

its not as good as a regular hydraphone but way way way cheaper

might be worth a shot we used to drop it in about 10 feet to get away from the surface noise

Greg Youngman January 2nd, 2006 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad Dahlquist
we used to make our own for whale listening on Maui
a simple film can with a small mic maybe one of those squid mics ?? inside and seal it up with silicone put a small weight on it drill a small hole in the bottom of the can this way the lid is technically the bottom
make sure you leave air around the mic so it can pick up the vibrations

its not as good as a regular hydraphone but way way way cheaper

might be worth a shot we used to drop it in about 10 feet to get away from the surface noise

He's recording above water.

K. Forman January 2nd, 2006 01:28 PM

I seriously doubt you have any Harbor Freight tool stores in Australia, but they sell a bunch of stuff cheap here in Florida. They have underwater mics for like $30.

Chad Dahlquist January 2nd, 2006 01:58 PM

"but will be getting wet & often submersed completely"

but he said it will be submersed completely and getting wet and on the water not only above is what I thought he meant ??

also first post here so sorry if you are some guru Greg but to offer a tip to help someone is what forums are about

he can make the decision ;)

being on the water all my life taking pics etc... I dont trust my gear to plastic bags ?? just giving another option ;)

Sam Gates January 2nd, 2006 04:36 PM

The Lectrosonics MM400B transimitter is "watertight" and Countryman says the B6 can be left overnight in your favorite beverage. I would check with them first. They may have a less expensive solution.

Sam

Rob Wilson January 2nd, 2006 05:50 PM

My understanding of a hydrophone is that it is designed to pickup sounds UNDERWATER. The transducer must be in direct contact with the water to work. I doubt that it would pick up much of anything in the air. Water being much more dense than air transmits sound much better (some sonar arrays can hear sounds thousands of miles distant). It sounds like you are looking for nat sound in an enviroment that will be splashing/dipping the mic. The previous post on the countryman sounds like a great way to go. I appreciate Sam's input since I'll be in a similar situation next year on a Colorado River raft trip.