Is headphone interference normal or....... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 9th, 2006, 08:27 PM   #1
Major Player

Is headphone interference normal or.......

I am trying to use headphones to monitor audio on my video camcorder (GS400) and the interference and staic is overwhelming. I know that these semi-cheap headphones work just fine with my cd player and I made sure it was plugged in all the way on the camera. When I playback the recording the audio is fine but how am I supposed to operate with a headphone problem like this. Is there a certain standard of headphone that I should be using or is this just the way it is with some cameras. It has really taken me by suprise.
Steve Witt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 08:46 PM   #2
Major Player

I use the GS400 and have experienced exactly the same thing with my AUDUS AD-200 headphones!

The interference is completely overwhelming - it is deafeningly loud. So much so that I assumed the headphones were stuffed. The interference is a horribly loud grinding buzz sound - it only comes out of one side - left or right channel - I froget which.

I tried the headphones in my stereo and they are fine! So I am led to believe that the GS400 has a problem with the Headphone jack.

I'm not sure though.
John Hewat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 08:57 PM   #3
Major Player

I did a lot of research before purchasing the GS400 and never read any complaints on headphone jack or any related issues. The only problem I came across was noisy tape decks. There must be some solution or something I'm (we) are doing wrong. this feature is "totally unusable" for me.
Old January 9th, 2006, 09:12 PM   #4
Major Player

I feel exactly the same way.

I haven't used the camera for a few weeks now but should probably go back and test a few things...

I know that I was using a pretty cheap Sennheiser mic (via minijack input) which is mono, and would explain the headphones having nothing to output to the other audio channel but there's no reason for it to output that horrible noise.

From memory, I don't know if the headphones responded the same way when using the camera's internal microphone, or when using a DAT recorder that we also used. I'll have to go back and do a few tests I think.
John Hewat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 09:25 PM   #5
Major Player

For me, the horrible buzz is present for the onboard mic and with my brand new Rode Videomic mounted. Although the buzz is just a little louder with the Rode mic. Really makes no difference though, Unusable either way. It is definitely an audio/out jack issue because the actual recorded audio is always just fine.
Old January 9th, 2006, 10:22 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Is this the jack which provides A/V out? *Video* along with audio?
Something like video on tip, audio on ring 1, audio on ring 2, ground on sleeve.

If so, you might be accidentally getting the video along with audio??? This will happen on one channel only though.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 10:55 PM   #7
Major Player

Glenn!!!!!!! That was totally it. AV in/out had to go to sub-menu and then from just plain old (out) to (out/phones). John Hewat, I have the PV-GS400 and this is page 13 in the manual, bullet # (39). It even describes what will happen if you don't change the setting that is described. (Noises on Right side) My Cheap head phones work just fine. Glenn thanks for all the help you've given me over the past year. I always can count on accurate & fast assistance from this board. Shame on me for not checking further in the manual too.
Steve Witt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio