Do I really need expensive headphones? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 11th, 2006, 06:17 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Interesting. The Sony MDR7506 are about the most sensitive professional headphones on the planet. I don't know how the 7509 compare with their sensitivity specs.

Having said that. I have heard that the headphone outputs on some of the new camcorders are really low. There are some bettery powered headphone booster devices I have heard about but have yet to try.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2006, 07:20 AM   #17
Major Player

The headphone signal my Z1 gives isn't particularly loud, but that's often because I'm setting the levels low to avoid clipping.
Old January 11th, 2006, 08:12 AM   #18
Inner Circle

I use the Sony 7509's with a Canon Xl1s.

Yes, while the 7509's are very sensitive, the Xl1s output is fairly low. In most environments, I usually have to have the headphone output level at its maximum setting. Sometimes, in a quiet environment, a lower setting will suffice.

Using a good mixer, such as the Sound Devices 302, you can monitor the camera sound via a "return" from the camera. In this case, the higher powered headphone drivers in the 302 solves the problem.

I am planning on purchasing a good set of ear buds or other sound isolating headphones to provide more isolation, for the times when it is necessary.

I welcome any recommendations.
Old January 11th, 2006, 08:12 PM   #19
Major Player

If I do get a good set of expensive headphones, and then the sound guy has to be 30 feet away from the camera with the mic on a boom pole, I'll need a long extension lead for the headphones - is that going to degrade the quality much?

If it does I might just be better off with some cheaper ones...
John Hewat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2006, 08:30 PM   #20
Trustee

Length of the lead shouldn't matter much. I'm trying to get hold of a better solution though. A headphone amp that simply bridges the mic line, that way the boom operator doesn't need a lead back from the camera, it's a Rolls PM50sOB.

I've also picked up an el cheapo RF headphone gizmo off eBay, only AUD 65, works OK but I need to modify the transmitter so it'll run off batteries, no big drama really, just finding the time :(
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2006, 08:33 PM   #21
Major Player

I also suggest the Sony 7506. The are well built, effecient, and sound great. Since they are an industry standard you have a good reference for your sound. The fact that they fold up and make you look like a Pro are also an asset. I also have a pair of the Sony 7509. They are bigger and seem a little tubby sounding for voice and music at low volume, but if you crank them to Pete Townsend Danger Level they sound great!

get the 7506.. you will really like them.
Glenn Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2006, 11:05 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hewat
If I do get a good set of expensive headphones, and then the sound guy has to be 30 feet away from the camera with the mic on a boom pole, I'll need a long extension lead for the headphones - is that going to degrade the quality much?

If it does I might just be better off with some cheaper ones...
John,

That's not logical.

First, if the mic is on a boom at the end of a 30 foot cable, the sound comes to the camera. You can plug into the camera headphone jack on the camera.

Second, good mixers are used with a special camera/mixer interconnect cable. It has two balanced XLR conductors for the two channels of audio that go from the mixer to the camera and a single unbalanced "return" that has a mini plug on the camera end to plug into the camera headphone output and a mini plug on the other end that plugs into the camera return jack on the mixer.

You listen to the return audio with your headphones plugged into the mixer by hitting the camera return switch. That way you know the audio is making it from the mic to the camera and back. Unless the mixer is on the boomer, that still leaves the boom operator without a feed.

The answer to that is a camera mixer cable that has an extra female mini jack built in (Peter Engh makes them) so the camera op can plug in at the camera. You hang the mixer on the boom person and they plug headphones into the mixer.

The third scenario is to get a small battery powered belt box for the boomer. It has a mic in, a mic out and a headphone jack. The boom audio passes through the box, allowing the boomer to hear and continues on to the mixer. The mixer operator listens to the camera return and mixer as first described.

That's how it's done. Want more info? It's in my little book. Checck the book oput on my website.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old January 11th, 2006, 11:18 PM   #23
Major Player

Those ideas sound great, but unfortunately my savings is blown and all I've got to show for it sound-wise is a mic. I will not be using a mixer so I'm just going to be capturing straight to the camera from my NTG-1.

I am hoping this won't be too detrimental to the sound and from my simple tests so far it seems ok.
Old January 11th, 2006, 11:53 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Then run a really long headphone cable for your boomer so he/she can tell if the boom is in the right place.

And good luck.

Ty Ford
Old January 22nd, 2006, 05:08 AM   #25
Major Player

One last question about the Sony 7506s;

Do the pads actually rest on your ears or are they so large that they sit 'over' your ears?

By which I mean am I going to get sore ears from having them on for hours or do they not touch your ears much at all?
Old January 22nd, 2006, 07:25 AM   #26
Regular Crew

You won't get sore ears. In addition to using them for video, I use them hooked up to my ipod once a week for a 2 hour bus ride. So I spend at least 4 hours with them on in a 12 hour stretch.
Kim Kinser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2006, 09:54 AM   #27
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hewat
One last question about the Sony 7506s;

Do the pads actually rest on your ears or are they so large that they sit 'over' your ears?

By which I mean am I going to get sore ears from having them on for hours or do they not touch your ears much at all?
How big ARE your ears!!!!! :)

Usually the are on the ears. I can wear them off and on all day during a shoot. Towards the end of the day, I'll take them off and rub my ears because that feels good.

Ear massage, itself, is an underappreciated thing.

Regards,
Ty Ford
Old January 22nd, 2006, 10:43 AM   #28

If you're REALLY worried about the pads on your ears, there are 3-5 companies that manufacture aftermarket pads for the 7506 made for a variety of circumstances, ranging from cold to comfort.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...cessory_detail
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2006, 10:52 AM   #29
Inner Circle

Current prices for the Sony MDR7506 here in the Toronto area are about $179 CDN in most retail stores. Converted to Aussie dollars using today's exchange rates on XE.COM that works out to just about AU$210.
Old January 22nd, 2006, 11:52 AM   #30
Regular Crew

Hello!

I've been looking to purchase new headphones and I'm interested in how the Sony 7506's stack up against the Sennheiser HD-280?
I wish I knew of someplace where I could try them out, but unfortunately I have to rely on second-hand info. I'd really appreciate honest opinions!
Thanks!
Jimi
Jimi Colteryahn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio