Do I really need expensive headphones? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 22nd, 2006, 01:04 PM   #31
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Colteryahn
I've been looking to purchase new headphones and I'm interested in how the Sony 7506's stack up against the Sennheiser HD-280?
I wish I knew of someplace where I could try them out, but unfortunately I have to rely on second-hand info. I'd really appreciate honest opinions!
Thanks!
Jimi
I cannot compare, but I have been happy with my HD280s. For large over-the-ear style, they fold three ways, so whatever fits your case (I use a backpack, so room is tight.) I replaced some earbuds after I found that working with a rockband, the Sony earbuds had some cancellation in the midranges in a loud environment (I was stressing because I thought I had a mic/pre-amp problem that was dropping the lead singer!)
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2006, 03:24 PM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Colteryahn
I've been looking to purchase new headphones and I'm interested in how the Sony 7506's stack up against the Sennheiser HD-280?
I don't know about HD-280's.
But i have a pair of Sony 7506 and they're just brilliant. They're sensitive, very comfortable, lightweight, well-made.

Very glad i got them - highly recommended.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2006, 07:47 PM   #33
Major Player

In the field I have been using Sennheiser HD202's. Very comfy, good sound, reasonable weight. Sure beats my old earbuds and lower line headphones!
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2006, 10:48 PM   #34
Regular Crew

I'd say often isolation is the most important factor by far. I've never tried the "in-ear" isolation headphones, but I can highly recommend at two price levels:

DirectSound Extreme Isolation headphones (Bassy, ~$100)

HN-7506 (Sony 7506 electronics in helicopter-pilot isolation headset) (Great, ~$250)

Can anyone who's tried both an HN-7506 AND the in-ear isolators make a comparison?

Also, don't be fooled by "noise cancelling headphones". These try to cancel sound actively and electronically, and tend to only affect certain parts of the frequency spectrum.
Barry Werger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2006, 12:21 AM   #35
Major Player

My friend has the Sennheiser HD280 headphones and uses them to build a board mix for his laptop when we're recording bands. He loves them.
Old January 23rd, 2006, 12:34 AM   #36

The 280 is a good can, no doubt. There is a benefit to the 7506 that no one else can claim tho, regardless of sound quality or opinion.
The 7506 is the standard of the industry. Everyone who has been in the biz for any length of time ends up with them. They're very sensitive, very clear, and while they may not be the most accurate, everyone knows what they sound like, and they're like a reference monitor. Although it's good to test your audio on various reference monitors, the bottom line is that every house, and many places in the industry, have the same reference monitors or very similar monitors, because it helps tremendously to have a reference point. Sound quality aside (I love the 7506, but I also love old AT's, too) they are something that two engineers can cogently discuss because they both know the sound of that particular can.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2006, 01:46 AM   #37
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
Everyone who has been in the biz for any length of time ends up with them. . . . everyone knows what they sound like, and they're like a reference monitor.
I use the Senni HD280s and I only have myself to please. I have often thought that what I am hearing might NOT be that which others will are hearing. Interesting.

I wonder if - bet there is - there is an industry standard "table" to view and to then compare "where" amongst all this my Sennie appear? It would be reassuring to know just how close the HD280 are and how far apart they are from the HN-7506.

One "ergonomic" thing I experienced last week, while shooting, was that I couldn't use the 280s with a hard hat! The actual, substantial can supports get in the way of the hard hat. What I did was to slip the "head" part back around the back of my neck. It worked.

The 280 acted as "muffler" for the the noisy jack-hammers. I don't know how truly medically efficient they are, but it was better than nothing.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2006, 11:53 PM   #38
Regular Crew

Funny how this thread popped up the day after I ordered the Sony 7506 from B/H. Have used them many times before and loved them - especially liked how lightweight they were, sensitive, and most important, comfortable.

I'm sure there is better out there, but for my money, I'll take the 7506's anyday of the week. You won't be sorry, especially for the price.
Bill Schoaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2006, 11:21 AM   #39
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Bernard
I use the Senni HD280s and I only have myself to please. I have often thought that what I am hearing might NOT be that which others will are hearing. Interesting.

I wonder if - bet there is - there is an industry standard "table" to view and to then compare "where" amongst all this my Sennie appear?...
Grazie, I've not seen such a table - the field is open for you. I'll visit your web site!

My understanding is that many location and studio engineers for musical performance consider the Senn 280 their standard set of phones, the way we in audio for video consider the Sony 7506 a standard.

In olden times, (where's my rocking chair and lap-blanket?), before the home music studio business turned audio on its head, there were a few speakers considered "reference standard" for studios. Every good engineer knew what they sounded like, and could mix to them. Now there are a zillion choices, and the people at home have much better playback too (mostly). Reference standards are out the window, but not so much when it comes to headphones.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2006, 01:13 PM   #40
Inner Circle

Actually, Rane used to publish a sheet on headphone frequeny response, impedance and sensitivity......

TA DAA! AS IF BY MAGIC!!!!

http://www.rane.com/hc4hp.html

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2006, 01:53 PM   #41
Old Boot

Excellent!

Ty you are a MONSTA! - Cheers mate.

Aw shucks . .'cept my HD280s aint amongst it! Poo!

Grazie
Old January 28th, 2006, 01:57 PM   #42
Inner Circle

check their specs on the AKG page with the 240 or 270

Ty
Old January 28th, 2006, 02:30 PM   #43
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford
check their specs on the AKG page with the 240 or 270

Ty
Eh? - You should know by now it don't take much to floor me! - Sorry .. what should I do?

G
Old January 28th, 2006, 03:01 PM   #44
Inner Circle

What part of comparing teh specs between your phones and other AKG phones do you not understand?

Ty Ford
Old January 29th, 2006, 03:32 AM   #45
Old Boot

Thank you Ty,

These were the 3 items that floored me:

" . check their specs . ." who's specs? Senni specs? Rane specs?

" on the AKG page .. " which page? I can only see ONE Rane page - sorry.

" with the 240 or 270 " I have the 280s? Are you saying these are close enough for the purposes of comparisons?

If I can get something arse about face . . . I will! Apologies .. .

TIA,

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio