DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Handheld mics- which sound best w/wireless plugon (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/58347-handheld-mics-sound-best-w-wireless-plugon.html)

Silas Marner January 15th, 2006 03:55 PM

Handheld mics- which sound best w/wireless plugon

Maybe this should been my original question. I plan to use the dynamic stick mics wireless with a sennheiser sk100g2 plugon transmitter specifically probably 95% of the time. I have heard that when using wireless the sound characteristics change.

Therefore, which ENG mic would be the most immune to change if any? Omni and Cardioid heads doesnt matter. Unfortunately, I will not have the option of using these wired.

I take it these are the industry standards.

-AKG D230
-EV RE50ND
-Sennheiser MD46
-Beyer M58

Senn makes a radiomic with the transmitter built in to work with the Evolution system. I think it is a 835 head. Should I upgrade to a Lectrosonic kit?

TIA

Guy Cochran January 17th, 2006 11:03 AM

Not sure about the others, but I have an interview online with the SKP 100 and MD46 that you can listen to. The mic/plug-on transmitter combo is a bit long, but sounds great. The interview is called NAB 2005 - Final Cut Pro 5 - Jerry Hoffman and you can find it at the top of this page http://dvestore.com/theatre/index.html
You can see the talent holding the mic in the bottom of the frame. The nice thing about the MD46 is that it has a double layer grille basket and was designed for the Olympics outdoor track and field events. It can handle a brisk wind with no problem.

Seth Bloombaum January 17th, 2006 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silas Marner
...dynamic stick mics wireless with a sennheiser sk100g2 plugon... I have heard that when using wireless the sound characteristics change.

Therefore, which ENG mic would be the most immune to change if any? ...

A properly set up wireless (including a new sk100G2) doesn't modify the sound in such a way that one could fix it or minimize it by microphone choice.

Wireless transmitters compress the signal, wireless receivers expand it. (we're talking about dynamic range here). With modern electronics the two processes balance nicely and you and the folks at home never notice it unless you're using old equipment that hasn't had a tuneup or something else has gone horribly wrong. Even then, choice of microphone doesn't figure in to the equation.

Kenneth Williams April 26th, 2006 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seth Bloombaum
A properly set up wireless (including a new sk100G2) doesn't modify the sound in such a way that one could fix it or minimize it by microphone choice.

Wireless transmitters compress the signal, wireless receivers expand it. (we're talking about dynamic range here). With modern electronics the two processes balance nicely and you and the folks at home never notice it unless you're using old equipment that hasn't had a tuneup or something else has gone horribly wrong. Even then, choice of microphone doesn't figure in to the equation.

I don't agree that mic choice is irrelevent. While it is true that the mic choice isn't really effected by the wired vs wireless issue, the mic choice is very important.

If you choose the wrong type of mic, you could irrevokably ruin the sound.

Stick with the names that are trusted. You can't go wrong with Shure and Sennhieser. Audio Technica is also a good choice. Radio Shack is for transistors, not sound gear.

A good Hand held is Shure SM58. A solid mic for all situations. A boom mic is better for pole work, and Sennhieser makes great mics for anything IF you can afford it.
Good luck!

Guy Cochran April 26th, 2006 06:14 PM

One *huge* point to be made about the beauty of the SKP 100 is that it does act as a preamp for dynamic and condenser mics. So now your levels are boosted at the transmitter phase and also at the receiver. That's two levels of amplification before feeding into your camera. This is huge if you are not using a mixer. Most all sub $5000 camcorders have noisy pres so a hotter feed is paramount. I have heard mediocre mics sound simply amazing when made wireless with the SKP 100 and Sennheiser Evolution G2 wireless.

As others have said, you can't go wrong with the Shure 58 or the Sennheiser MD46 - making either of these wireless with the SKP 100 will sound killer!
http://www.dvcreators.net/knowledge/...on-sound-gear/

Seth Bloombaum April 26th, 2006 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth Williams
I don't agree that mic choice is irrelevent. While it is true that the mic choice isn't really effected by the wired vs wireless issue, the mic choice is very important...

Kenneth, you are taking my quote out of context - the original question was "Therefore, which ENG mic would be the most immune to change (from wireless link) if any?"

Obviously, hand mike choice is very relevant indeed to what will be recorded on tape, whether the link is wired or wireless.

Good mic and good wireless give good results. You need both.