can you mount a schoeps/oktava in a 416 windjammer? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 15th, 2006, 04:05 PM   #1
Major Player

can you mount a schoeps/oktava in a 416 windjammer?

I'm trying to be as stingy as possible. Can you mount a schoeps cmc or oktava 012 into a zeppelin designed for a shotgun like a mkh416?

I dont plan on using the shotgun and the hyper at the same time, so it would seem that using the same wind protection for both would be quite a savings.

(here in rural new zealand everyone opens all their windows instead of a/c so its not uncommon to have internal audio contitions with exterior wind complications)

if that doesnt work, what do you guys use for wind protection for your hypercardioid?

thanks,
-andrew
Andrew Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2006, 11:15 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Dean
I'm trying to be as stingy as possible. Can you mount a schoeps cmc or oktava 012 into a zeppelin designed for a shotgun like a mkh416?

I dont plan on using the shotgun and the hyper at the same time, so it would seem that using the same wind protection for both would be quite a savings.

(here in rural new zealand everyone opens all their windows instead of a/c so its not uncommon to have internal audio contitions with exterior wind complications)

if that doesnt work, what do you guys use for wind protection for your hypercardioid?

thanks,
-andrew
LOL - talk about mics at 2 opposite ends of the price spectrum!!!!! Don't know about the Zep for the the MKH416 would fit those two mics but it sure seems likely if you can afford a Schoeps CMC641 you wouldn't need to skimp on a second Zep to fit it if the one for the your shotgun didn't work out. Why not just try it and see?
Old January 16th, 2006, 04:54 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House
LOL - talk about mics at 2 opposite ends of the price spectrum!!!!! Don't know about the Zep for the the MKH416 would fit those two mics but it sure seems likely if you can afford a Schoeps CMC641 you wouldn't need to skimp on a second Zep to fit it if the one for the your shotgun didn't work out. Why not just try it and see?
I dont think i follow that logic. If i spring the $1600 for a cmc641 then i should automatically have another $700 for another zepplin floating around? Is this like when you give all your money to the church it is supposed to comeback ten-fold? I didnt realize it applied to buying production gear. Dude, i should have like $20k coming through the door any day now.

The clips should hold any of the three mics. not sure if you can move them around to adjust the placement correctly.

What do the cmc641 owners out there use if they boom outside?

-a
Andrew Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2006, 07:09 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Dean
I dont think i follow that logic. If i spring the $1600 for a cmc641 then i should automatically have another $700 for another zepplin floating around? Is this like when you give all your money to the church it is supposed to comeback ten-fold? I didnt realize it applied to buying production gear. Dude, i should have like $20k coming through the door any day now.

The clips should hold any of the three mics. not sure if you can move them around to adjust the placement correctly.

What do the cmc641 owners out there use if they boom outside?

-a
Oh I hear ya. I'm in much the same boat - I try to buy gear with an eye to what does an acceptable job rather than focussing strictly on price but there are no loose dollars just floating around and I still need to squeeze the most value out of each buck. I just was amused that the two mics you mentioned as options under consideration differ in price by an order of magnitude, the Octava being about $175 US and the Schoeps being about $1750 US.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio