Surround Sound decoder at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 16th, 2006, 09:17 PM   #1
Major Player

Surround Sound decoder

I have power speakers and was planning of getting some more (centre and 2 rears) for a surround setup but then realised I'd need something to decode the signal.
Does anyone know of stand alone units that will take a digital audio signal (via coaxial or optical) and give you the seperate analogue line outs for powered speakers?

I'm hoping to get something fairly cheap as the speakers will blow my budget.
Surely there are some decoders floating around.
Matt Brabender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2006, 07:47 AM   #2
Inner Circle

A lot of home-theatre receivers have optical or S/PDIF inputs and line-level outputs. Might be easier and more economical than locating a stand-alone hardware decoder - they seem to be pretty scarce.
Old January 17th, 2006, 05:52 PM   #3
Major Player

Yeah but I don't think they have a line out for each channel and I already have a pair of powered studio monitors so I don't really want to buy an extra amp and speaker set.
For mixing I prefer to stick to the powered reference monitors.
Old January 17th, 2006, 08:38 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Brabender
Yeah but I don't think they have a line out for each channel and I already have a pair of powered studio monitors so I don't really want to buy an extra amp and speaker set.
For mixing I prefer to stick to the powered reference monitors.
I can't speak to all of them but my Teac AGD9320 has line outputs for each 5.1 surround channel that are intended to drive powered monitors. The line outs are taken off between the preamp and power amplifier sections of the receiver and the receiver acts as the preamp driving the speaker's own amplifiers when used in that mode. That particular receiver has both optical and S/PDIF digital inputs and both Dolby and DTS surround decoders.

Last edited by Steve House; January 18th, 2006 at 06:41 AM. Reason: To correct receiver model number
Steve House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2006, 09:08 PM   #5
Major Player

thanks Steve
I'll check it out
Old January 18th, 2006, 10:01 AM   #6
Major Player

There is actually a very good device by Creative that does this job called the DDTS-100. I'm plannng to buy one for my computer eventually.
Here's a link - http://www.creative.com/products/pro...6&product=9468
Andrew Khalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2006, 03:46 PM   #7
Major Player

Interesting. I wonder if the 3 audio outputs (front, centre and rear) would work with 3.5mm stereo jack to rca leads.
It's definitely the sort of thing I'm after.

Is there much difference in the decoders? Or is there some sort of standard for dolby digital and dts decoding?
Old January 18th, 2006, 03:52 PM   #8
Major Player

I believe you can easily adapt 3.5mm to RCA. I think all the decoders use the same standards - Dolby Digital/DTS. In terms of audio quality, the device has some good ratings, but I haven't actually listened to it myself - it will depend a lot more on the speakers you're using since this decice just decodes, it has no amp.
Andrew Khalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2006, 07:44 PM   #9
Major Player

Well if all the decoders are pretty much the same, then this sounds great. Plugged into some Mackies, it should be very clear.
Matt Brabender is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio