DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Alesis Multimix 16 USB (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/58698-alesis-multimix-16-usb.html)

Jerry Jesion January 19th, 2006 07:47 PM

Alesis Multimix 16 USB

Anyone use the Alesis Multimix 16 USB mixer for live multi-channel recording direct to a laptop? Does one get a separate file for each channel? Is USB fast enough? I'm interested in using something like this to handle audio for event coverage and would appreciate any info.

Regards,
Jerry

Stephen Finton January 20th, 2006 12:03 AM

Thanks for this! I am very interested in it now!

Steve House January 20th, 2006 09:03 AM

Don't know anything about this particular unit, but as to USB being fast enough ... USB 2.0 should be okay but USB 1.x is really less than optimal. Firewire is better than either one if it's possible for you to do.

Stephen Finton January 20th, 2006 09:56 AM

I've read about the USB version. It seems to be a gimmick. The firwire version costs $200 more for a reason. Apparently it is more integrated with whatever audio software you use, it allows for the realtime transfer of 8 individual tracks to your software, in other words. The USB version only transfers your final 2-channel mix via the USB. :(

Stephen Finton January 21st, 2006 05:00 PM

The firewire one would be the one to get. But beware! There is a misprint in the manual in regards to installing the drivers that apparently will mess up its ability to operate. Oh and the unit has got to be powered down before you try to operate it after rebooting the computer. Apparently it stores info in its buffers that need to be reset seperate from the computer. No biggie!

K. Forman January 21st, 2006 05:17 PM

I've used a Korg multitrack, and it will only out put a mixed down stereo file. However, you can output whatever track you like, edit it, and then mix it back into your file... if that is what you were asking.

Stephen Finton January 21st, 2006 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Forman
I've used a Korg multitrack, and it will only out put a mixed down stereo file. However, you can output whatever track you like, edit it, and then mix it back into your file... if that is what you were asking.

Never thought of it that way. I do miss having a standalone. I had a SONY 4-track minidisc and a Fostex FD-4.

K. Forman January 21st, 2006 07:30 PM

I had a Korg D 12, and liked the ability to record 6 tracks at once. It was great for doing bands, and running the mics and instruments into their own channel. It made mixing sweet, because I could adjust the instruments down, and bring out the vocals, or tone down the drums when they were too loud.

I did not like losing everything when the breaker flipped. That is why it is history.