Wireless mic setup for my PD170 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 26th, 2006, 08:03 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Wireless mic setup for my PD170

I need a wireless mic setup for doing interviews with the PD170. Can anyone recomend one? I have no clue about where to look. Thanks.
Georg Herbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2006, 09:29 PM   #2
Inner Circle

gotto B&H (a site sponsor I believe) they have all kinds of wirless to look at and soend your money on but do yourself a favor and stay away from any VHF systems. Spend a little more and get a UHF system. For almost all of the UHF systems except Lectrosonics you'll find they start at around $500 and go from there. Lectros start about $1100 but...Audio Technica, Azden (I use 2 of the 500Us and they have performed flawlessly for almost 5 years), Sennheiser, are all quality units. Pays your money takes your choice.
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2006, 01:48 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Can you recommend specific microphone and wireless sets? Thanks.

Ths one?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...&shs=MT-831cT5
Georg Herbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2006, 04:57 PM   #4
Supports LPFM Radio

You can get the Sennheiser kit with or without the plug-on transmitter for stick mics (as used by news reporters). You can save $100ish if you get the kit without the plug-on transmitter.

I think this kit might do what you want:

Sennheiser EW112P-G2 Evolution Wireless System

I once owned an AT U100 system and didn't think much of it. But then, I mainly use Lectrosonics systems that cost a lot more. But I think the Sennheiser Evolution G2 stuff is worth checking out.

Best,

Jim
Jim Feeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 05:56 PM   #5
New Boot

senhiser red dot hairline mic

the sennhieser red dot hairline mic with transmiter & reciver can't be beat in my opinion. The transmiter is about the size of a box of swanvestas and the mic is like the size of 2 match heads.

I was using two of these on a tour of south east asia, when sound checking a guy came to check out our kit, he whisteled between his teeth and said "even we don't get this stuff to play with". Turned out he was the sound boss of the Dianna Ross tour that was in KL at the same time as we were. We had to hold our set till Ms Ross's set was over as the entire sound crew had phoned the venue asking that we hold our set till they arrived. They must have liked more than just the kit I guess. It costs but the best usually does, I blagged it on my press card "cash? no press card - that'll do nicely" - David
David Priestley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 11:42 AM   #6
Supports LPFM Radio

Oh, one more thing. If you're doing sit-down (or other non-moving) interviews, there is one technology that'll give you better sound than a $3000 wireless system...a $30 cable.

I know it's an old mantra, but for interviews (and all dialog):

First try a well-placed boom mic.

Then try a hard-wired lav (lav mic into cable that attaches directly to camera).

They only if you must, try a lav connected to a radio system (ie- a wireless lav).

Best,

Jim
Jim Feeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 11:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Feeley
Oh, one more thing. If you're doing sit-down (or other non-moving) interviews, there is one technology that'll give you better sound than a $3000 wireless system...a $30 cable.

I know it's an old mantra, but for interviews (and all dialog):

First try a well-placed boom mic.

Then try a hard-wired lav (lav mic into cable that attaches directly to camera).

They only if you must, try a lav connected to a radio system (ie- a wireless lav).

Best,

Jim
Very sound advice (no pun intended)
Cables should be used ANY time you can avoid a wireless. Remember that wireless' generally are there for the talent's convenience, rarely the shooter's convenience.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio