DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Question for Ty Ford/Others - Mic selection (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/59362-question-ty-ford-others-mic-selection.html)

Mark A. Foley January 29th, 2006 08:10 AM

Question for Ty Ford/Others - Mic selection

Ty/All,
I would like your recommendation for a mic choice in this recording process. As a wedding videographer, I’m faced with many times the couple hiring a live band to play at the reception. What is problematic for us is we typically have no time for setup/testing of any audio capture before we have to start shooting the events. I typically grab a feed from the sound board to a field recorder and another mic to capture the PA...plus another for ambient audio. I realize this is not the optimum setup, but does work when we have little or no setup time. If you were going select a mic to capture the PA, what would you recommend? A high input sound level mic like a drum mic?

Douglas Spotted Eagle January 29th, 2006 09:45 AM

I'd be looking at something like the Sound Professionals PSM 6, or Darren's Giant Squid package, or on a slightly higher end, the AT 825. All are good stereo mics, and will work well for recording a room with a PA going in them. Of course, the mix is entirely up to the sound guy, but you'd be in that boat anyway, were you plugging in to the board.
Set up a boom stand so the mics are fairly high up in the air, not too close to a wall, you should find this a fairly statisfactory run n' gun option.

Mark A. Foley January 29th, 2006 09:53 AM

Thanks DSE,
I use an AT 825....but have always wondered if a higer SPL-type mic would perform better

Douglas Spotted Eagle January 29th, 2006 09:58 AM

I have a PSM 6, and it's very sensitive, but doesn't sound as good as the 825 does. Are you overdriving the 825? Or you're just looking for a different option?

Mark A. Foley January 29th, 2006 11:52 AM

...just looking for other options if available. My 825 always has performed very well in this run and gun situation. Curious what others may use....

Ty Ford January 31st, 2006 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark A. Foley
Ty/All,
I would like your recommendation for a mic choice in this recording process. As a wedding videographer, I’m faced with many times the couple hiring a live band to play at the reception. What is problematic for us is we typically have no time for setup/testing of any audio capture before we have to start shooting the events. I typically grab a feed from the sound board to a field recorder and another mic to capture the PA...plus another for ambient audio. I realize this is not the optimum setup, but does work when we have little or no setup time. If you were going select a mic to capture the PA, what would you recommend? A high input sound level mic like a drum mic?

Hi Mark,

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking. What's coming through the board? Is it just the band? Most bands use PA for vocals and some instrumentation, but balance that with amp and ambient sound to get the total sound. As such, you can't really "get" the band with a board feed.

Do they use the PA for announcements and wedding goers testimonies and comments about and for the bride and groom?

Exactly what and how do you record on the field recorder; the board, PA and ambience with three mics to separate channels or as a mix?

When you say you mic the PA, what do you do, stick a mic somewhere near the PA and feed that to the field recorder? Does the PA sound give you anything the board feed from the PA doesn't? I would think the board feed would be lots cleaner, but maybe I'm not understanding you situation.

Regards,

Ty Ford