Anyone has used the ENG-44 field mixer? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 11th, 2006, 10:22 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Anyone has used the ENG-44 field mixer?

Has anyone used the ENG-44 field mixer?

It is sold by signvideo
http://www.signvideo.com/fpamxr.htm
I did a web search on it and there seems to be close to nothing on it. Has it just come out?
Maximo Salaberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2006, 10:53 PM   #2
Major Player

Wow, never saw this. I would also be very interested in any reviews anyone finds. Seems very cheap...maybe you get what you pay for? It sure does have all the features of the Sound Devices 302...but the sound?

KW
Kevin Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2006, 10:34 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Too good to be true?

What makes me suspicious of their quality is that here are only two places that sell it. Are other vendors leery of customer returns? So far I have not fond any reviews anywhere to confirm.
Old February 13th, 2006, 02:00 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi All

I don't know about this mixer but I have their XLR Pro that I got from Zotz video in Oregan...

the chap there reckons their gear is way better than Beachtek... I can't comment on that but I am very happy with both the quality and the performance of the XLR Pro adapter...

Maybe send an e-mail to the guy at Zotz he was very helpful when I was looking for kit and seemed knowledgable....

Having looked at the Sign Video site a few times I'd think this must be a fairly new item int their range.. hence maybe why it is not stocked in many places.

Regards

Gareth
Gareth Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 12:18 PM   #5
Regular Crew

MAde by signVideo

It's made by sign video ( i was on the phone with them) and apparently it has just been released which would explain why no one know about it.

Does anyone have experience with the products manufactured by Sign Video? Are they good quality?
Old February 13th, 2006, 01:07 PM   #6
Regular Crew

webpage on the ENG 44

http://www.equipmentemporium.com/Art...usingENG44.htm

I was told that the Mixpre may have better audio, but that for what I need (docs with dialogue) this may be more than enough, plus it appears to be a real mixer, 4 XLR input, one XLR for booom operator and LINE level in and out. Very tempting!! although I'm a bit scared to be one of the first users.
Old February 13th, 2006, 01:22 PM   #7
Supports LPFM Radio

I can understand your hesitation to be the first one on the block to try this. It might be good...we just don't know...

If nothing else, you might want to at least compare the ENG-44 to the low-cost mixers from PSC:

http://www.dvaudio.com

Jay Rose liked their DV ProMix 3 when he reviewed it for DV mag back in May 2004 (when I worked at DV mag, btw). There's a link to the review on this page:

http://www.dv.com/reviews/hardware.jhtml

And you could always keep your eye out for a good used mixer from Sound Devices, Wendt, or someone similar. Just because you're doing docs, don't cheap-out on your mixer. Audio is the least-expensive way to improve the production quality of your project...I know you know this, but we are just talking about a few hundred dollars here...

Best,

Jim "owns two Sound Devices mixer and an older one from PSC" Feeley
Jim Feeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 02:31 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Feeley
I can understand your hesitation to be the first one on the block to try this. It might be good...we just don't know...

If nothing else, you might want to at least compare the ENG-44 to the low-cost mixers from PSC:

http://www.dvaudio.com

Jay Rose liked their DV ProMix 3 when he reviewed it for DV mag back in May 2004 (when I worked at DV mag, btw). There's a link to the review on this page:

http://www.dv.com/reviews/hardware.jhtml

And you could always keep your eye out for a good used mixer from Sound Devices, Wendt, or someone similar. Just because you're doing docs, don't cheap-out on your mixer. Audio is the least-expensive way to improve the production quality of your project...I know you know this, but we are just talking about a few hundred dollars here...

Best,

Jim "owns two Sound Devices mixer and an older one from PSC" Feeley
dont know about what kind of preamp it has but .
no- attenuation on the inputs , so if you have big wave -you are droning :-)
no headphones selector
no external /internal power selector
no pick indicator
no ms
no mic attenuators on xlr outs
sadly to say - find used wendt
Oleg Kaizerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 07:16 PM   #9
Major Player

sound devices 302

One of these 302's is for sale on e-bay right now.
Larry Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 01:24 PM   #10
Major Player

I have second hand information about the ENG-44. A sound mixer friend of mine used one recently on a very low budget indie feature, and she did not have very complimentary things to say about it. Her main complaint was that she found the pre-amps to be very noisy, which really limited the amount of gain she could get out of the mixer. In addition, there are a host of what she termed "annoyances" such as a meter dimmer that only had two positions: bright and dim, left-right pan switches instead of pots, single frequency low-cut filters, no way to solo single channels, etc.

Your requirements and expectations may be different.
Ralph Keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 11:51 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo Salaberry View Post
Does anyone have experience with the products manufactured by Sign Video? Are they good quality?
I bought an 8x8 S-Video router from them for an installation I did a few years back. It has performed well, no problems. However, a mixer is a more sophisticated piece of equipment. So I might have some hesitation there. Noisy preamps can reduce audio quality very quickly. I've bought stuff from Equipment Emporium before and have found their advice helpful. Why not call them and see what they say about it.
Brett Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 06:00 PM   #12
Inner Circle

OK. I reviewed it for TV Technology months ago. The preamps were not noisey. Either she had a bum one or was using mics with incredibly low output. I specifically had tthem cranked all the way up and they were fine.

It doesn't have a peak flasher, but it found using the limiter threshold light worked pretty well.

It has balanced mic/line outputs.

It's lightweight.

It's really inexpensive.

I own a Sound Devices 442. The ENG-44 is no 442, but for its price, what $579 or something like that, it does a really nice job. They sell it direct to keep the price down. I'd use one to wade into the surf rather than take my 442.

If you can't afford a 442, get a 302.

Regards,

Ty For
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 03:31 AM   #13
Major Player

if you can avoid that one - avoid it :-)
Oleg Kaizerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 03:45 AM   #14
Major Player

Why Oleg

can you expand?

Ty was pretty happy for it's price point, how would you rate this versus say a beachtek?

Thanks

Adam
Adam Letch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 04:30 AM   #15
Major Player

there are few things missing on that one

good preamps
sealed potensiometers - ( humidity)

good monitor section
preamp attenuation
to hi low cut fq point
pick metering .
no overload indication on inputs
input limitters
the output limiters alwais on !!!!!
12 v phantom power
no ms decoding .
the phantom appears on line inputs ( good only for recording gunshots - may fire unbalance outs )

price point crap - was made for videots - not really for sound people .

about how does it compare to beach teck - it doesnt as it 2 different minded devices .
Oleg Kaizerman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio