Affordable lav mics at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 14th, 2006, 04:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Affordable lav mics

I'm going to be recording some legal video (mostly depositions) and I need a suggestion for an affordable wired lav mic. I'll be buying 5 of them so that's why cost is an especially big issue. These don't have to be the best quality mics (i.e., they're just going to be sitting at a desk answering basic questions).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jamie
Old February 14th, 2006, 07:17 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Baughman
I'm going to be recording some legal video (mostly depositions) and I need a suggestion for an affordable wired lav mic. I'll be buying 5 of them so that's why cost is an especially big issue. These don't have to be the best quality mics (i.e., they're just going to be sitting at a desk answering basic questions).

Jamie
Absolutely! The Audio Technica MT830R

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 04:58 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Baughman

Jamie
You might want to experiement with one or two boundary layer mics on the desk as well. Very well suited to recording conferences, etc.
Old February 15th, 2006, 12:21 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford
Absolutely! The Audio Technica MT830R

Ty Ford
USD163 ? eek. 5 of them ? double-eek. guess it depends on what you call affordable !

Anyway - quick question Ty - on B&H it says these come with a power module. Can they also be used without the power-module? i.e. is it detachable? and is the power-module designed so the lav can be used for LINE IN?

thanks in advance.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 01:12 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Stu,

The power module version is required for plugging the mic into a mixer that provides phantom power. If you get any of the other terminations, they must be plugged into a wireless mic transmitter and its battery provides the power.

No version can be plugged into a line input. They all require something to provide power and most of the time the output of that device is mic level, however some wireless receivers do output line level.

As I recall, you wanted to plug in hardwired.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 01:40 PM   #6
Major Player

Jamie,

The most commonly used cheap mic for depositions is a Radio Shack lavalier. Some people actually prefer them to more expensive mics because eventually a lawyer is going to jump up from the table with the lav still attached and hose your mic. $40 lost is better than $163.

That said, while those Radio Shack mics aren't horrible (like most of RS stuff is), you will notice a HUGE improvement in sound - especially noise and some hiss) by using more professional mics. So you might start with the Radio Shack ones, and start buying up better lavs as you can afford them.

Personally I also use Audio-Technica lavs (as well as a couple of Trams). I have had great success with the AT803s (omni-directional) as well as the AT831 (cardioid).

Have fun!

Rob
Rob Neidig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 04:00 PM   #7
Major Player

How about some of the mics from Giant Squid Audio Lab?
http://www.giant-squid-audio-lab.com/
John McManimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2006, 08:04 PM   #8
Major Player

OK got it. - thanks for the explanation Ty.

rgds
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio