Recording Opera-Soprano is vibrating at frequencies... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 20th, 2006, 08:03 AM   #16
Wrangler

I use a line input from the house board, and record mono on both channels. On my Z1 I set channel 1 for auto level and channel 2 for manual. This has saved my bacon a couple times when something unexpected happens....
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2006, 08:10 AM   #17
Major Player

As I mentioned initially, it was definitely not a levels problem. I did fix the problem by using a different mic (Neumann TLM103). My on-camera mic still did the overload sounding thing, though levels were very low. I guess some mics just don't handle some frequencies well.

Thanks for all the help!

KW
Kevin Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2006, 11:45 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Wild
I did fix the problem by using a different mic (Neumann TLM103). My on-camera mic still did the overload sounding thing, though levels were very low. I guess some mics just don't handle some frequencies well.
I'd still like to hear more description of the sound - the "rattle"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House
Sounds like a situation where duplicate recordings are in order, the backup 12 db or so lower than the primary.
Not for 17 channels, man! Just gotta set 'em RIGHT. Luckily operas have a full orchestra dress or two to figure "right" out...
Barry Werger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 10:39 AM   #19
Major Player

The rattle I described is really more like a sound of overmodulation. When I hear it in headphones, I expect to look down and see the meters pegged, but they're not even close. So, I guess it's a distortion, but only at a certain frequency, rather than volume-based.

Make sense?

Kevin
Kevin Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 11:43 AM   #20
Tourist

Sopranos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Wild
The rattle I described is really more like a sound of overmodulation. When I hear it in headphones, I expect to look down and see the meters pegged, but they're not even close. So, I guess it's a distortion, but only at a certain frequency, rather than volume-based.

Make sense?
I'm late answering this, but yes, it makes sense. Operatic sopranos can put out way more energy at certain frequencies than a recordist who's used to dialogue (or even pop singers) would expect.

I've had the same problem. I don't know what's being overloaded, but my guess is it's either the mic or the A/D convertor.

I work with opera singers on original projects (short screen musicals), and it's almost impossible to get film recordists to take the problem seriously until it happens to them--by which time it's too late.
Keith Snyder is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio