DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Cheap on or off camera mic setup. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/61703-cheap-off-camera-mic-setup.html)

Derek Lewis February 27th, 2006 09:21 PM

Cheap on or off camera mic setup.

I need a cheap setup for audio recording that will work until I can buy a Rode VideoMic. It can be on or off the camera, but I need something that will sound better than the in-camera mic. Monetary limit = $100.

If it helps, I'm using a Panny GS65.

TIA! :-)

Robert M Wright February 27th, 2006 10:05 PM

Are you wanting a shotgun mic or do you want an omni-directional mic? I think I have an Azden SGM-X somewhere around here. That's the sort of shotgun mic you'd want to look for, within that sort of budget limit. If you're looking for something omni-directional, Audio Technica makes an inexpensive stereo mic that's a nice improvement over an onboard.

Robert M Wright February 27th, 2006 10:07 PM

I'm guessing you want a shotgun (since you have your eye on the Videomic), but depending on what you are shooting, those little ATs can be pretty nice for a consumer camera.

Dan Brown February 28th, 2006 07:34 AM

I've got an ATR-55 Audio Technica shotty I will sell you for $35 (shipping included). It's a 1/8" mini plug, battery powered condenser, selectable between hypercardioid and line/gradient(shotgun). Comes with the foam wind screen, hot shoe mount, and mic stand mount. You'll probably what a shoucl mount.

Let me know?

Robert M Wright March 2nd, 2006 03:35 AM

Say Dan, does AT publish a S/N spec on that ATR55?

Robert M Wright March 2nd, 2006 03:39 AM

I'm almost thinking of maybe picking up that little shotty from you, to give to my youngest son along with a little Panny palmcorder that I'm going to give him as a starter miniDV cam.

Dan Brown March 2nd, 2006 08:30 AM

Here is a link to what AT has on their web site: http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wi...dd5/index.html

Robert M Wright March 2nd, 2006 04:10 PM

Is it in good shape? Got the camera mount piece, windscreen and all? (I almost hate to ask, but it's also kind of dumb not to.)

Dan Brown March 2nd, 2006 08:05 PM

Yes, it is in "like-new" condition. I have the mic, the wind screen, the camera hot-shot mount, and the mic stand mount. Don't think I have the box though.

Robert M Wright March 2nd, 2006 11:49 PM

I'll send you an email Dan.

Chris Shaeffer March 3rd, 2006 03:21 AM

I have an ATR55. Nice little mic for the price! Being an audio guy and having a studio full of great audio mics gives me a pretty picky ear and the 55 definitely has its issues- but its got pretty good isolation, hot output, and decent sound for its price.

Its sounds WAY better than the on-camera mic on my Sony TRV9. Compared to the VX1000, which as an *excellent* on-camera mic... well, I'd only use the 55 for its off-axis rejection when I need to focus in on something far away and the on camera mic was getting too much background noise. And then it needs to be OFF the camera.

The 55 may be a bit big looking for that little camera (the GS65) and you'll have to be *really* careful with camera handling noise: it gets transmitted mechanically to the mic and sounds horrible. A shock mount would really help, mounting it off camera, or even just holding it with your other hand to get if off the camera body.

But I was surprised by it, over all. Not bad for the low price and mini plug.

Take care,
Chris

Robert M Wright March 3rd, 2006 04:04 AM

You might be pleasantly surprised by the ATR-25 too. Amazing for a sub $30 stereo mic IMHO. Amazon was selling them under 30 bucks with free shipping when I picked one up last year (unless my memory is toast), but I just looked and they apparently aren't stocking them anymore (just offering them from someone else, through them for about $40 with the ship).

Derek Lewis March 4th, 2006 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Brown
I've got an ATR-55 Audio Technica shotty I will sell you for $35 (shipping included). It's a 1/8" mini plug, battery powered condenser, selectable between hypercardioid and line/gradient(shotgun). Comes with the foam wind screen, hot shoe mount, and mic stand mount. You'll probably what a shoucl mount.

Let me know?

Sent you an e-mail. I'll take that off your hands if you still have it.

Robert M Wright March 4th, 2006 03:06 PM

I just dropped a check in the mail to Dan.

Derek Lewis March 4th, 2006 06:58 PM

Oh...beat me to it! :-)

Thanks for all your help guys!