DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Wireless Lav help - New business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/61730-wireless-lav-help-new-business.html)

Kevin Stipp February 28th, 2006 06:35 AM

Wireless Lav help - New business

I am just starting out in the wedding videography business and need some advice about getting good audio. I invested in what I thought was a great wireless microphone: Sennheiser EW 112p G2 wireless transmitter and receiver. I have shot 2 weddings with it already in which I had to ditch the wireless because of lots of "fuzz" noise. That leaves me with just using the camera mic, and the sound is terribly inferior. The puzzling thing is that I test it out and it sounds great - during interviews, the audio is as clean as can be, but during both of the ceremonies I have run into problems. I have seen postings about iRiver recorders, but I don't want to give up totally on my investment. I have decided to invest in the Edirol R-1 recorder, and run a wired mic direct to it, but I still want to use the wireless on the groom as a backup. Does anyone have some advice? Does the reception depend on my local area?

Douglas Call February 28th, 2006 06:47 AM

Scanning Channels and selecting alternate banks

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Stipp
I invested in what I thought was a great wireless microphone: Sennheiser EW 112p G2 wireless transmitter and receiver.

I use the same microphone for lots of interviews with very good results. But I always scan for free channels on the receiver a couple of times to make sure it finds the same free channel (remember your transmitter has to be off when scanning channels) before I start recording. You can also change to different channel banks. Once I set the channel on the receiver and transmitter then I monitor the sound with my headphones for a little while to make sure no extraneous sounds keep leaking in.

I use both the sennheiser wireless lav and the handheld mike. Very good results all the time.

Steven Davis February 28th, 2006 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas Call
I use the same microphone for lots of interviews with very good results. But I always scan for free channels on the receiver a couple of times to make sure it finds the same free channel (remember your transmitter has to be off when scanning channels) before I start recording. You can also change to different channel banks. Once I set the channel on the receiver and transmitter then I monitor the sound with my headphones for a little while to make sure no extraneous sounds keep leaking in.

I use both the sennheiser wireless lav and the handheld mike. Very good results all the time.

I use the same. I've used it in several areas, the only problem I had was in a 100 year old hotel in the middle of the city. I'd like to think that it was these people with those blasted camera phones, but who knows. It wasn't a big issue, but I would imagine with almost any microphone you would have a time or two that would give you a fit. But other than that one time, the Sennheiser EW 112p G2 is awesome. Because when you catch the slobber off the kiss at a wedding, that's the bomb.

Kevin Stipp February 28th, 2006 09:11 AM

I'll try again

I think the problem is most likely with the user than with the equipment. I should probably spend more time checking for a clean channel. I think I will still invest in a solid state recorder, though. It makes sense to have something reliable. Thanks for the input - I will keep trying.

Jay Massengill February 28th, 2006 09:24 AM

Did you pick a Sennheiser frequency band that will work well with your area's UHF and digital TV transmission frequencies? That's the biggest source of interference that you can plan around. Other things like cellphones, blackberry's, as well as dropouts can cause problems and are much less predictable but usually not a complete deal-breaker for your wireless track.

Kevin Stipp February 28th, 2006 09:51 AM

Naive

No, I didn't know what that range would be, or even realize that could be a source of interference. To be honest, I bought this mic with no working knowledge of wireless transmission, and was hoping the technology would take care of any human error. I attempted to scan for a clean channel the night before, and got great audio for the interviews. However, I was naive enough to think that the channel I scanned previously in a different location would also work in the santuary. I will need to spend more time getting all the user-error problems worked out. How can I find out what range to avoid in the Indy area?

Douglas Call February 28th, 2006 10:58 AM

Sennheiser Frequency Finder

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Stipp
No, I didn't know what that range would be, or even realize that could be a source of interference. To be honest, I bought this mic with no working knowledge of wireless transmission, and was hoping the technology would take care of any human error. I attempted to scan for a clean channel the night before, and got great audio for the interviews. However, I was naive enough to think that the channel I scanned previously in a different location would also work in the santuary.

I used the following link http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser...ency-check_usa to make sure I purchased the mike system with the proper frequencies.

Steve House February 28th, 2006 11:14 AM

Another thing to check with wireless, especially when you're putting on non-professional subjects such as the groom at a weddding, who aren't used to being mic'ed, is to insure the antenna and mic cable are situated properly and don't let them do it themselves. Antenna should run straight - no bends, loops, or coils - vertically, either straight up or straight down from the transmitter. The mic cable should NOT loop around or cross over the antenna and if at all possible the mic wire and the antenna should leave the transmitter in opposite directions. Adjust the receiver antenna so it is oriented parallel to the tranmitter antenna, ie, if the transmitter is situated so the antenna has to be at an angle or horizontal to the ground, try to make sure the receiver antenna points the same way.

Sam Gates February 28th, 2006 01:25 PM

Is another wireless being used that is not on when you first check for open frequencies? Check with the person doing sound. They may not be turning on their mic until just before the wedding.

If several wireless mics are being used harmonics can interfere with a channel that appears free. Also because the Sennheiser reciever is not a diversity reciever watch for drop outs because the transmitter or reciever position changed.

Sam Gates