PSC Promix 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 1st, 2006, 06:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

PSC Promix 3

I am thinking that I am going to use the PSC Promix 3 Mixer for a doc that I am going to be doing. Is there anyone out there that has used this Mixer in a real world situation? Are there any serious limitation to the mixer (not really a sound person if you can't tell) that I should be aware of. PSC seems like a really good company. Sound Devices would be nice but out of the reach of the budget. B and H have the PSC as a top seller so people must be using it. The Sound Devices is also a top seller. Well please let me know what you think. If it matters to anyone I will be using the mixer with the JVC HD100. Well thank you Matt
Matthew Pugerude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 08:56 AM   #2
Inner Circle

It looks like a nice mixer, but I haven't used it.

http://www.dv.com/news/news_item.jht...w/rose0604_rvw

I almost bought that mixer, but decided to save up my pennies for a SD302 instead, largely because the PSC lacks a tone generator and the output levels are much more controllable on the SoundDevices mixer.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 09:52 AM   #3
Trustee

I have one of the earlier generation ProMix 3's. It works well although you can tell the mic preamps and especially the headphone circuit aren't as good as SoundDevices. The newer version may be a little better but I haven't tried one. It would certainly be better than having no mixer control-wise, but if getting one severly cuts into your mic budget, you may want to think about it carefully.
What mics and what camera are you going to be using and how many people will be on your team?
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 09:57 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I see that it now has a tone oscillator. That's a good thing.

http://www.professionalsound.com/Cat...V%20Promix.htm

By the way, are you really going to be using three mics? There's always the Sound Devices Mix-Pre and MM1.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 11:56 AM   #5
Regular Crew

?#2 Wireless from mixer to the Camera?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Massengill
I have one of the earlier generations ProMix 3's.
But the final Mix was usable and sounded good. Is the mixer up to the task of field work? How rugged it the mixer? (Knobs, toggle switches and XLR plugs) any broken parts as of yet?
Quote:
It works well although you can tell the mic preamps and especially the headphone circuit aren't as good as Sound Devices
I am not really an audiophile so little nuances are lost on me. I can hear pops, crackles, hisses and AC unit’s things of that nature. Self Noise is lost to me. Maybe if I heard things side by side I could hear the difference but that is not an option I have.
Quote:
What mics and what camera are you going to be using and how many people will be on your team?
1.) The Mics
Sennheiser Evolution G2 100 Series X2 (to get two Lavs)
Boom Audio-Technica AT897
What about using the plug on transmitter for the boom?
2.) People
Me DP & Camera Op
Sound Guy Mixing
Boom OP
3.) Camera
JVC HD100
Next question
What is the best way to go to Wireless to the Camera?
This is what I was thinking.
1.) Put a L and R male to Female splitter out of mixer
2.) Use the Plug on transmitter to feed a signal to camera.
3.) Attach the recover to the camera.

Is the bag that comes with the mixer just for storage or for work? Storage is my guess but no info on this that I can find.

I did this one time before from a sound board it gave me an awesome sound and I was able to move around the room quickly and cable free.
Old March 3rd, 2006, 12:00 PM   #6
Major Player

top seller smop seller, BUY USED SHURE 33 ,or wendt 3
Oleg Kaizerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 02:05 PM   #7
Major Player

I wouldn't recommend using the G2 as a wireless link to the camera. The G2 is OK as low-end wireless mic systems go, but I think it will lead to heartache if you are depending on it for the link to your primary recording mechanism. Stick with a hardwired cable instead.
Ralph Keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 02:43 PM   #8
Trustee

The G2 system is far from low end IF you get the 500 series.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 03:24 PM   #9
Regular Crew

well what do I Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Keyser
I wouldn't recommend using the G2 as a wireless link to the camera. The G2 is OK as low-end wireless mic systems go, but I think it will lead to heartache if you are depending on it for the link to your primary recording mechanism. Stick with a hardwired cable instead.

Well then what do I do to get a wireless audio tap to the camera from the mixer that is not going to cost thousands upon thousands of dollars
Old March 4th, 2006, 09:51 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Grant
The G2 system is far from low end IF you get the 500 series.
this the same s.h.... in different packege with aditional monitoring and bigger fq bank
double waist of money , get used lectrosonics195 d /200/205 instead or audio limited 2000
Oleg Kaizerman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio