Wireless Shotgun Configuration - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 21st, 2003, 03:19 PM   #31
Warden

I sometimes have been forced to use wired over wireless (and vice versa) because of excessive RFI. It's one of those things that you can't predict until you get on location. I've had florescent lights cause RFI with wired mics and speaker phones cause problems with wireless mics.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2003, 04:23 PM   #32
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Jaime,
It's hard to say whether or not you'll have trouble. As Jeff notes, the culprits often tend to be the last things you'd expect.

What wireless system do you use? Do you think you'll have an opportunity to scout the location and test your set ahead of time? You wouldn't need to bring the camera, just the transmitter, perhaps a lav, the receiver and a set of headphones (assuming your receiver enables headphone connection).

Regardless, I'd certainly bring a good ol' long XLR cable along for the shoot just to be safe.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2003, 04:48 PM   #33
Major Player

Well, I don't have a wireless system yet. I won't really have a chance to record tests on location until about a week before the shoot begins, and at that point I don't think I'll have time to replace my equipment, should there be problems with whatever wireless system I get.

I'm beginning to think that a wireless shotgun configuration isn't necessarily the best for my needs. After reading the LAFCPUG review of the HHB PortaDisc and the comments of people here, it would seem that hooking up my boom mic to the PortaDisc might work better for me. I'm a bit skeptical about a wireless ANYTHING, especially when it would be the ONLY audio track I would have. If I get the MiniDisc recorder with the boom mic, and also hook up a quality shotgun mic to the camera (DVX100), I would have 2 sources of audio to choose from during post. This would make me feel a lot safer during the shoot.

Thoughts? Comments? Am I completely out of my mind?
Jaime Valles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2003, 05:06 PM   #34

What's the nature of the project and shoot, Jaime?

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Old February 22nd, 2003, 10:29 AM   #35
Major Player

Well, it's a 90 min feature on MiniDV. It's a romantic comedy that is set in a High School, and about a third of the scenes take place in a computer lab. If all goes well, I will be aiming for an eventual transfer to 35mm film, for theatrical distribution.

As of now, I'm planning on using a Panasonic DXV100 for video, and will be attempting to make the movie as professional as possible, in terms of production values. One of the areas that I am least familiar with is location audio recording. Many of the scenes are rather dialogue heavy, with conversations between 5 or 6 characters at the same time. Several other scenes have dialogue between 2 people as they walk along hallways, and that sort of thing. I was planning on getting a Senheiser ME66/K6 on a boom, and attempt to record each character's side of the conversation individually, and then try to put all the pieces together in post.

I was looking into the whole wireless shotgun configuration, because many of the shots will be on a jib arm, and if the boom mic is connected to the XLR inputs of the DVX100, it might limit the motion of the jib or of the boom operator. I don't know, maybe it could work, and I could save a bunch of money just by getting a really long XLR cable and having the boom mic always attatched to the camera.

My other options were to connect the boom mic to the camera wirelessly, or to record the sound to a different device altogether (HHB PortaDisc). With a budget of $2000 for all sound equipment, including shotgun mic, boom pole, and cables, which do you think would give me the best quality audio?

If you have any other questions, let me know.
Old February 22nd, 2003, 11:05 AM   #36
Warden

Since this is being staged, are you able to turn off the computers that will not appear on screen? One or two computers should not present too much, if any, RFI. If you need a wide shot to establish location and you want the computers all on then maybe capture the audio separately. The fewer the computers on, the less the potential for audio problems from them.

Cables to the jib arm are less than ideal. I would either do the wireless shotgun or the portable option. Sync is not that difficult if you give yourself an audible cue (clapboard) at the start of each scene.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old February 22nd, 2003, 11:53 AM   #37

Given your project description I'm inclined to vote for using separate audio, such as from an HHb PortaDisc. Classrooms and labs can be difficult settings. I think that de-coupling your boom from your camera might make things more flexible.

I would not completely discount the use of a wireless shotgun setup. The DXV1000 reportedly has excellent audio circuitry. But, since you have no current wireless setup this would be new ground for you to plow, also.

If you decide to get the HHb give yourself, or your sound man, time to become familiar with it and get it set-up correctly.

Old February 22nd, 2003, 12:26 PM   #38
Major Player

Jeff,

Yes, I will be able to turn off most of the computers for many of the shots. The few that need to show all the computers turned on don't really need audio at the same time.

Ken,

I'll definitely give my sound man time to get familiar with whatever audio equipment we end up getting. I guess at this point it's between getting the Portadisc and just getting the MM-1 preamp and connect it to the camera (certainly less expensive, plus no sync during post), since the DVX100 supposedly has great audio.

I still have to ponder this for a while, since I have a couple of months before I have to buy anything. I will keep you all up to date on whatever I decide.

Thanks so much for your advice!
Old February 22nd, 2003, 12:51 PM   #39
Warden

How are you wiring the MM-1 into your camera?

Old February 22nd, 2003, 01:09 PM   #40
Major Player

Um, I'm assuming that I could just plug the line-out of the MM-1 into one of the XLR inputs of the DVX100, no? Am I missing something here? I don't have the MM-1 yet, but looking at the info on their website (http://www.sounddevices.com/products/mm1master.htm) it seems like I could do that. If not, I too would like to know how to connect the MM-1 to the camera. ;)
Old February 22nd, 2003, 01:17 PM   #41
Warden

The MM-1 outputs line level. The DVX100 probably does not accept line level. You will need an attenuating cord (Sound Devices sells them) to drop the level.

Old February 22nd, 2003, 01:49 PM   #42
Major Player

You see? This is why I love the DVinfo forums so much! Here I am, thinking I'm all set to go out and get a bunch of equipment, and I would have ended up trying to put a square peg in a round hole. You guys rock!

Seriously, thanks for the heads-up, Jeff. I'll have to get an attenuating cord to plug the MM-1 to the DVX100. Looking at the info on their website, I'm not sure which one to choose from. Any suggestions?

Also, would I need an attenuating cord if I were to use a wireless configuration as described above? Or does that become unnecessary with a wireless system attached?

Thanks again!
Old February 22nd, 2003, 07:07 PM   #43
Warden

It depends on the wireless system your thinking of using. Many transmitters will accept line in.

Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio