looking for a sound effect to build tension at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 13th, 2006, 01:02 AM   #1
New Boot

looking for a sound effect to build tension

Hi,
My apologies if this is not the right place to be asking a question like this, but from what I could tell, it looked like the best choice.

Audio is not my specialty, but seeing as I have been left to edit this project totally solo, I have to figure something out. So, Please forgive my ignorance on the subject.

I am looking for an effect to lay under some music and help build the tension in a scene. What I am looking for could best be described as rising symphonic chatter, similar to what was used in the suicide scene in Rules of Attraction, or just before Paul McCartney's part in A Day in the Life (those are just two of the examples that come to mind).

I certainly would have no idea how to create something like this on my own, and I'm not even really sure where to look for it.

Is this something I might be able to find as a stock/royalty free effect? If so, what would I want to search for?

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers~
Eric
Eric Edmondson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2006, 01:11 AM   #2
Major Player

Try www.sounddogs.com and search "Orchestra Tension". Several EFX will come up. Someone else here turned me on to this site. Tomorrow I am planning on purchasing the EFX I need for a project. The EFX cost about 3 dollars each, and come from some great SFX Libraries. As far as I can tell they are legit and copyright cleared. I will know more tomorrow.
Glenn Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2006, 01:19 AM   #3
New Boot

Great, I'll check it out. Thanks!
Old March 13th, 2006, 08:21 AM   #4

Sound Dogs is a great resource. There are also a lot of other resources out there.
I've also assembled a list of places we've purchased music from, or sold music to.
http://vasst.com/resource.aspx?id=ea...0-d871584737ef
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2006, 11:09 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Only marginally on topic but have you noticed the almost subliminal low level SFX of a cell phone or desk phone ringing down in the music bed of a lot of commercials these days? Once you hear it it'll drive you nuts, a classic "ear worm." Builds a lot of tension for me!
Old March 13th, 2006, 11:34 AM   #6
Capt. Quirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House
Only marginally on topic but have you noticed the almost subliminal low level SFX of a cell phone or desk phone ringing down in the music bed of a lot of commercials these days? Once you hear it it'll drive you nuts, a classic "ear worm." Builds a lot of tension for me!
I've heard them too, and yes, it annoys me. I'm sure their might be a copyright issue with the ringtones.
Old March 15th, 2006, 12:17 PM   #7
New Boot

I haven't noticed that sound before, but I bet I will now. lol

Thanks for the input everyone, I think I found something on sound dogs that will work!

Cheers~
Eric
Old March 16th, 2006, 04:05 AM   #8
Regular Crew

soudn design

Hmm, if you wanna do some "original" sounding stuff perhpas check out this cool, virtual instrument, called Spectrasonics Atmosphere. Really got some creepy stuff you can subtly mix in. It's more for horror stuffs though.
Patomakarn Nitanontawat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 01:48 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Tension? Record your wife asking, "so how much do you plan on spending on eight seconds of sound?"
Barry Werger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio