Sound Advice at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 23rd, 2003, 10:07 AM   #1
Major Player

Sound Advice

Ok I like to grab sound independently via DAT using a soundman

my old faithful AIWA HD-S1 has packed up so Im in the market for a new DAT portable

preferably with balanced XLR inputs

whats out there? any recommendations?
John Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2003, 09:17 PM   #2
Warden

Both Tascam and Sony make portable field recorders. What is your budget?

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2003, 04:54 PM   #3
Major Player

hmm

DAT field recorders are very pricey so

I am seriously considering using my notebook to record sound

If I wire up a stereo mini jack as balanced 2tip 3ring and record stereo in SoundForge through the stereo mic input, I will have normal sound on left and inverted on right which I can later subtract from each other to get the 6db gain with noise cancellation,

plus if I run the notebook in mobile mode I will have four hours on the battery - thus up to four hours continuous recording at full bandwidth 48Khz with a nice big display

my notebook is very quiet from about 2 metres with the advantage of no scratchy sounds when input levels need adjustment

has anyone used their notebook for recording ?

any pitfalls I havent figured yet?

Beware ***PLUGGER-BYTES***
Old February 21st, 2003, 07:28 PM   #4
Major Player

I purchased a Tascam DA-P1 recently, I think the extra cost will be worth it. I know it's not always the best but considering how durable these recorders are you might want to check out eBay for a used unit. Of course, take some time to talk with the owner before buying. But I see that a few have gone for around $600 or so on eBay, which is great considering they are $1500 retail (suggested price is at a ridiculous $2100). Then there is the Marantz CDR300 portable CD burner unit with XLR inputs at around $600 brand new. I've never recorded from a laptop, sorry...
Christopher Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2003, 09:22 AM   #5
Major Player

Chris

the DA-P1 is a very desireable tool, but to be honest with you the more I experiment with my notebook the more I like the idea of recording direct to it.

I have done some soak tests and found that I can have Soundforge running with some real time DX plugins to give me multiband EQ and a warm compressor and reverb if I want it - all running to the hard drive live.

This of course cancels the need to grab DAT to the hard drive for later sync with the video so there is a workflow benefit too.

Old February 22nd, 2003, 11:28 AM   #6
Warden

I think the deciding factor could well be who you record audio for and it's intended use. If everything is to be edited by you, on your computer, then a laptop has some distinct advantages as you have discovered. On the other hand, if the work is to be done on different computers or at a remote location, then you waste time dubbing DAT copies (you'd need to rent a DAT etc.) for your client.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2003, 12:31 PM   #7
Major Player

Thanks Jeff

I suspect burning off a few CDs would be the way forward in such case, in 80 min chunks

sure would outperform dubbing DAT copies in realtime and a lot cheaper and more universally acceptable

Old February 22nd, 2003, 12:54 PM   #8
Warden

I don't think the slight loss of audio quality would be noticeable.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio