DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Any of you use ProTool or ACID? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/63286-any-you-use-protool-acid.html)

Yi Fong Yu March 20th, 2006 07:36 AM

Any of you use ProTool or ACID?

yesh i realize most musicians utilize this tool. whether they do their final mix from these synthetic sounds or record real life instruments is not the issue.

the issue is, is it a good audio editor or it is strictly track creation? do you utilize it with your favorite NLE? if so, how? for example, during audio post, do you do so in NLE or take the video into ProTool/Acid?

Chris Luker March 20th, 2006 01:52 PM

I use Protools. I am a full time Audio Guy, part time DV enthusiast... I only use Protools in video to sweeten up my audio tracks that don't sound 'right' in FCP (noise reduction, leveling, taking pops out, FX...) and to record and mix/master background music. Protools is a great audio editor. I think any audio specific editor will make life easier for editing audio than any NLVE (V for video). Adobe Audition is a great tool as well, especially the frequency spectrum editing window...WOW!
My audio setup cost 10 times what my camera setup cost me as I have a bunch of plug-ins, monitors[audio], interfaces/converters, digital mixer, synths etc.... Audio Guy here, trying to get the Mrs. to let me be a Video Guy...

John Rofrano March 20th, 2006 02:28 PM

I use Sony ACID for music composition, but I do my Audio Editing in Sony Sound Forge. From my NLE (Sony Vegas) I just right-click on my audio, select Open in Sound Forge from the context menu and do all my processing there in Sound Forge. When I save and switch back to Vegas, my new audio is right there on the time-line as if by magic. Vegas and Sound Forge are very tightly integrated (as is ACID and Sound Forge).

~jr

Yi Fong Yu March 20th, 2006 07:45 PM

doesn't DSE use Vegas as his audio editor as well?

BTW chris, do you mix music in 5.1 (or more channels) or just stereo?

Seth Bloombaum March 20th, 2006 08:53 PM

Vegas is a great audio editor too - it started out as a non-destructive multitrack audio editor.

I tend to use it more than Sound Forge, mostly because I'm more familiar with it and therefore faster, but I also frequently have more than 2 tracks. Forge is a mono or stereo editor. Same plugins support both, and both are worth having.

I use Forge all the time for transfers from analog, it has a great recording interface. And Forge will do a few tricks that Vegas doesn't. IMHO both are best!

Steve House March 21st, 2006 05:41 AM

A number of ProTools users are switching over to Nuendo and finding they can do everything the did in ProTools with a more flexible workflow and lower hardware invenstment.

Yi Fong Yu March 21st, 2006 07:54 AM

you guys ever used open source *nix knock-off's of protool/acid/nuendo? for example a knock off of sound forge is audacity, which is FREE! =).

Phil Hover March 21st, 2006 11:03 AM

I use nuendo - used to use Pro Tools. I also have, soundtrack pro, audition, sound forge, vegas, and moog.

Jeff Patnaude March 21st, 2006 12:58 PM

I use ProTools HD192. I'm an audio eng and videographer at work, and a non-aspiring musician at home. I use Cubase, Soundtrack Pro, Peak, and some others. They each have their strengths. Protools has a great sounding interface. I like to do utility edits with Peak however. It's great for taking out breaths and noise. I think you can also "convolve" some sounds together and really get some cool, wanked stuff for recording. Protools is awesome. I've gotten animations from our graphics guy, and then sync music and add fx layers for a final video open for a show. Good fun, and won an award (not a big deal).
Soundtrack Pro has been good for making loop-based music for some of my video productions, and has saved me the worry of copyright problems.

Jeff P

Seth Bloombaum March 21st, 2006 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yi Fong Yu
you guys ever used open source *nix knock-off's of protool/acid/nuendo? for example a knock off of sound forge is audacity, which is FREE! =).

I've used Audacity - it's good. Other than being a stereo wav editor, I'd not describe it as a sound forge knockoff, but it is a good tool. I use both.

If it does what you need, great. Free is a good price!

Bruce S. Yarock March 21st, 2006 07:39 PM

Nuendo all the way. Wavelab for mixdown and mastering.
Bruce yarock

Jay Kavi March 21st, 2006 08:13 PM

Aside from protools, i really like audition. i wish it was available for mac.

Yi Fong Yu March 22nd, 2006 12:44 AM

while i haven't used audacity extensively (i ain't musician), i have used open source software such as firefox, gimp, inkscape, etc. one of the great benefits of using a software from the community is the expandability. think of those extensions and plugins. well the same applies for audacity:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/plugins

i'm fairly certain that any feature you want from sound forge that isn't in audacity base install is readily available as a plugin (often free).

Jared Silvia March 30th, 2006 10:44 PM

Protools is a really great editing tool because of it's speed... though, I admit, the cost of the hardware is a bit of a problem. Even more so is that to truly work with timecode properly you need the DV Toolkit which is an extra-cost plugin.

All that being said, though, I've found my m-box (the cheapest digidesign card, note they make a version now that will work with any of the MAudio cards called "M-Powered") to be a very stable and useful audio interface and protools has been really really useful in every project I've worked on both Audio intensive and Video intensive.

Glenn Davidson March 30th, 2006 11:46 PM

I use Protools all day, every day. I use the Digi 002 rack, 4 Glyph drives, and a rack of external hardware. I love my Protools!