Soundtrack Pro's Royalty-Free Music Composer Info? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 20th, 2006, 01:40 PM   #1
New Boot

Soundtrack Pro's Royalty-Free Music Composer Info?

I am looking to purchase Final Cut Pro 5 with Soundtrack Pro this summer. I'm doing some research and trying to learn as much as I can between now and then.

My questions about the Royalty-Free music available with Soundtrack Pro is does each composition have any composer information? My reason for asking is the royalty-free part of this music is you don't have to pay any synch or master use license fees. What about performance royalties? If your film gets distribution on IFC or HBO will the cue sheet list the composer of the royalty-free music?

Thanks!
Old March 20th, 2006, 02:40 PM   #2
Sponsor: VASST

I don’t use Soundtracks Pro (I use ACID Pro on the PC) but my understanding is that the composer is YOU! There are collections of royalty free loop libraries that you assemble into a soundtrack yourself. In fact, I would bet that many royalty free loop libraries would prohibit you from listing the musicians. For example, if you bought Mic Fleetwood's library and listed him as having performed on your recording you would probably get sued!

The rule of thumb is you need to check the license agreement for each individual loop library that you purchase (because the license may be different) but usually, royalty free also means credit free.

~jr

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio