Sony mini disc at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 24th, 2006, 09:15 PM   #1
Major Player

Sony mini disc

Anyone currently or has used these? Need some feed backs thanks!!

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...ayers_MiniDisc
Fred Foronda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2006, 09:46 PM   #2

Several times. I've got one....works great in PCM mode
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 01:52 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
Several times. I've got one....works great in PCM mode
Point me to the right direction my friend like you always do. What kind of mic will work well? I am mainly interested in caputring dialouge from one person and not ambient noises.

Thanks!
Old March 27th, 2006, 10:02 AM   #4
Inner Circle

You might want to wait for this model to come out. It appears to be the best HiMD for field recording yet, except for the lack of an external battery pack. I'm really hoping Sony will continue developing more professional HiMD units.

http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=14814
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2006, 08:25 PM   #5
Major Player

any lav that will work well with this model??

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
Old May 15th, 2006, 12:41 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I have the RH-10 HiMD version, and it works great. I've used it with a fairly inexpensive Sony ECM-907 mic. I also use it with my BeachTech DX4-4 as an adapter and my Sennheiser ME-66 shotgun mic, to record from a boom set up. You can also use is with a lapel mic, in the pocket of your subject as another possible recording method, rather than use wireless/radio transmitted mics.
Old May 15th, 2006, 04:32 AM   #7
Trustee

Chris or DSE-
Does this record 16 bit 44.1 pcm wavs?
How would it sound recording live music or a feed from a board?
Is it easy to dump to the PC?

We've been shooting some small accoustic concerts (singles, duos etc.) and I want to get good non camera audio without having to drag my portable multi track rig (Motu traveller, laptop with Nuendo,Behrringer 8000 extra converter). Would this md recorder sound really good? Also, I'd need something with phantom power to get a pair of mics into the md recorder.Are there any small, inexpensive mixers with xlr's in,phantom and an output compatable with the Md recorder? Maybe battery /ac option?
Thanks
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2006, 10:25 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce S. Yarock
Chris or DSE-
Does this record 16 bit 44.1 pcm wavs?
How would it sound recording live music or a feed from a board?
Is it easy to dump to the PC?

We've been shooting some small accoustic concerts (singles, duos etc.) and I want to get good non camera audio without having to drag my portable multi track rig (Motu traveller, laptop with Nuendo,Behrringer 8000 extra converter). Would this md recorder sound really good? Also, I'd need something with phantom power to get a pair of mics into the md recorder.Are there any small, inexpensive mixers with xlr's in,phantom and an output compatable with the Md recorder? Maybe battery /ac option?
Thanks
Bruce Yarock
Doug would know about PCM wavs for sure, but I do believe it does record 16 bit PCM.

First, whatever you get, you need to be sure you get one with mic input. Don't be fooled that line input is the same as mic input. It is not. These mic input versions will also have line input.

(This explanation is copied from my responses in another thread and edited a bit to fit this question.) Second, for ease of transfer of the files, the HiMD version of the mini disk recorders is the way to go. The primary reason is that using the Sony Sonic Stage software, you can actually off load the recorded digital file. With the regular mini disks, you had to actually record and capture your sound through the line outputs. It worked okay, but the PCM capture on the HiMD and file transfer capabilities, makes it much cleaner and nicer. When you off load the recordings, you still have to go through the Sonic Stage transfer process, but you can convert the file to a wave file within Sonic Stage. There appears to be no loss of quality from the original recording.

With my HiMD, there are 3 levels of recording capability, including PCM. Even before the HiMd version, I know musicians have be using these simple recorders for the type of recording you are trying to do. I actually have a small Yamaha sound board I can mix a couple of channels with, or use a stereo mic, or mono, as I indicated earlier.

Also, I have actually used the my Beachtech adapter as an off camera XLR mixer, and that will work giving you two XLR mic tracks into the minidisc.
Old May 15th, 2006, 11:10 AM   #9
Trustee

Chris,
Do you have the same model that Fred mentions (MZRH 910)? That model seems to have the features you mention.
As far as a mixer with xlr's in, phanton, and an 1/8 out to the Sony md, I think the Beechtek is a lot of money.To get those features I'd have to go with the DXA-8, which is $380. I think there's a Behringer that does all that that's pretty reasonable.(If I buy a box for my Sony FX1, then the Beechtek dxa-8 would be the way I'd go).
Bruce yarock
Old May 15th, 2006, 11:13 AM   #10
Trustee

Chris,
Is this the one you have?

What's the difference between yours and the one Fred mentions? Yours is about $65 more.
thanks
Bruce Yarock
Old May 15th, 2006, 11:57 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Chris,
Is this the one you have?

What's the difference between yours and the one Fred mentions? Yours is about $65 more.
thanks
Bruce Yarock
Yes, this is model I have. I think I opted for the RH10 because of the display. Somewhere I read it was a bit easier to read that than the 910, which has a basic LCD if I understand it right. I felt the RH10 would be be easier read in dark room situations. If you look at features in the BH Photo for each, the RH10 has "Electroluminexcence LCD display. I think that means lighted. I am not sure how well the 910 is lit, if at all, as my older non HiMD was not either, but don't hold me to that.

As far as Beachtech is concerned, its what I had anyway for my VX2000, and I use it on my FX-1, and it works fine. Of course, it doesn't have power on board, and if I was was buying now, I would go with the DXA-8.
Old May 15th, 2006, 12:45 PM   #12
Major Player

Good reads guys!! Thanks for sharing. Is it possible to attach the Beach Tek XLR to both the cameral and a mini disc for back up??
Old May 15th, 2006, 12:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Chris or DSE-
Does this record 16 bit 44.1 pcm wavs? yes
How would it sound recording live music or a feed from a board? sounds great, not as great as a very high end converter to DAT, but by any standard, very robust
Is it easy to dump to the PC? yes, via USB
Hope this helps. I'm pretty happy with mine, for small gigs where I don't want to carry an R4, this is the bomb. The Microtrack is great too, but some folks have had issues with them.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2006, 01:19 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Foronda
Good reads guys!! Thanks for sharing. Is it possible to attach the Beach Tek XLR to both the cameral and a mini disc for back up??
Hmmmm. I suppose you could use a "Y" splitter-- Female to hook to the XLR adapter, then male out to cam and mini disc. Seems like that would be belt and suspender, but... its back up.
Old May 15th, 2006, 04:22 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos
Hmmmm. I suppose you could use a "Y" splitter-- Female to hook to the XLR adapter, then male out to cam and mini disc. Seems like that would be belt and suspender, but... its back up.
I thought about that but wonder if splitting the audio would compromise the quailty of the signal going into the cam and mini disc.
Fred Foronda is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio