Beachtek units... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 1st, 2006, 02:13 AM   #1
Major Player

Beachtek units...

I would like the following from an audio interface system and I see now that Beachtek makes several units.

However, I'm not sure what I'm looking for is actually offered.

I'd like an "XLR in" stereo unit with stereo LED that converts the audio signal to the three in one 1/8 inch camera input connector. However, I would then like to send a return audio feed from the camera headphone jack back to a second set of LED's on the same Beachtek unit.

Is Beachtek or any other manufacturer making such a unit?
Old April 1st, 2006, 07:25 AM   #2
Inner Circle

By "Stereo LED's", I assume that you are wanting Stereo LED audio Level meters.

The Beachtek DXA-6 has leds:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

If you are going with a "Beachtek Type" unit, I highly recommend the DXA-8 over the DXA-6, since it has good preamplifiers and limiters.

I understand that you want to monitor the audio level going into the camera via the stereo leds, and also want to monitor the audio level coming out of the camera.

While this will help in many cases, I highly recommend that you monitor the audio via headphones at all times. You can easily overload the audio input preamplifier stage and the meters will show normal activity, but the signal will be distorted. Also, in a "Beachtek" type unit, which mounts below the camera, the leds are not in your normal line of sight, so that may not be very helpful.

On the other hand, a Sound Devices 302 mixer will give you very good mic preamplifiers, and stereo leds and the ability to monitor the audio output from the camera. This is a more expensive option, but gives you better sound, and great flexibility. The downside is that the 302 mixer does not mount below the camera like a Beachtek.

If you are a "one-man show", operating a mixer and camera in a demanding audio environment may be difficult. In many cases, one person can do both, but you will have to set the levels in advance and/or set the camera for unattended operation. If it is demanding work and you are recording 16-bit sound, it is difficult to do both.
Old April 1st, 2006, 09:15 AM   #3
Major Player

One man band, when the budget is so low that is all that can be afforded.

Mixing on location, never have.

I always use two cameras so that I have four audio channels available to me then I mix when I edit. The idea of mixing on location is abhorrent to me because once mixed, it can basically never be undone.

When I shoot with my 3-chip s-vhs I have redundant audio, one set in HI-FI, the other in dolby linear stereo. It's ironic to me that if Audio is 70% of the issue, how S-VHS got thrown off to the side so easily when it has superior audio options.

As for the picture quality, I had to soften the picture on my S-VHS to get it to match my TRV-350, as I softened the picture, it looks almost identical, but with a bit more detail in the blacks.

The Beachtek is a very clever concept. The return feed is still a good idea, I guess I forget to add that I would then want to monitor from the Beachtek unit as well. I'm asking for a lot, but it's pointless to rely on audio from a digital source that does not have vu meters unless return audio levels can be viewed, and monitored.
Old April 2nd, 2006, 05:15 PM   #4
Major Player

What are the Benefits vs Risks of "On-Location" Audio Mixing?

Oops, this was supposed to be a new topic.
Old April 3rd, 2006, 06:01 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandro Machi
I would like the following from an audio interface system and I see now that Beachtek makes several units.

However, I'm not sure what I'm looking for is actually offered.

I'd like an "XLR in" stereo unit with stereo LED that converts the audio signal to the three in one 1/8 inch camera input connector. However, I would then like to send a return audio feed from the camera headphone jack back to a second set of LED's on the same Beachtek unit.

Is Beachtek or any other manufacturer making such a unit?
Beach doesn't have a unit with 2 pair of led meters but they do have a new SVU-2 metering unit that accepts a line in and provides metering and a headphone jcack. Looks like it stacks under the camera with other Beachtek units. You could use one of the XLR adapters with meters on the input and the SVU on the output from the headphone jack.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio