DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Rode Videomic Rubberband Noise (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/64747-rode-videomic-rubberband-noise.html)

Chad Solo April 10th, 2006 08:54 AM

Rode Videomic Rubberband Noise

I have had the rode Videomic for awhile now and doing some edits I have been noticing that when I'm walking with the camera like when I walk with my son while I'm taping I notice the mic is picking up the sound of the rubberbands that hold it. IT's not good because it has ruined a few shoots already. You all out there that has this mic what have you done to make this not a issue ? If the camera is still it is fine just when I'm walking with it is where I have the problem you here a squicky noise. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank's

Steve House April 10th, 2006 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad Solo
I have had the rode Videomic for awhile now and doing some edits I have been noticing that when I'm walking with the camera like when I walk with my son while I'm taping I notice the mic is picking up the sound of the rubberbands that hold it. IT's not good because it has ruined a few shoots already. You all out there that has this mic what have you done to make this not a issue ? If the camera is still it is fine just when I'm walking with it is where I have the problem you here a squicky noise. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank's

"Squicky"????? Sure it's not your shoes or change in your pockets? <grin>

Stu Holmes April 10th, 2006 12:04 PM

Chad
I have the Videomic and ages ago i have put a dab of glue on all the plastic binding posts that the 8 rubber bands go around. This was done because i actually lost one of the bands while putting on the Deadcat. They ping off silently and i didn't notice at the time, so i lost one. Now they're glued on so no more lost bands.

Reason i mention this is that i don't recall having any squeaky bands, so i am speculating that the squeak is the rubber squeaking against the plastic posts, so try my soluition and i think you'll have no more squeaks.

Marco Leavitt April 10th, 2006 01:47 PM

The shockmount is unfortunately the worst thing about the Videomic. I wonder if you could get better bands? I'd call a few vendors and ask if they can suggest something.

Chad Solo April 10th, 2006 02:14 PM

Thank's for the replies. I will give Rode a email and see what they say.

Chad

Guy Cochran April 10th, 2006 06:57 PM

The newer RODE Videomics ship with an extra set of rubber rings. Try doubling them up. If you have the older model (silver box), maybe give RODE a jingle and see if they can offer replacements. Also, a little belt dressing or WD-40 on the bands can quiet 'em down.

Marc Ries April 11th, 2006 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu Holmes
Chad
I have the Videomic and ages ago i have put a dab of glue on all the plastic binding posts that the 8 rubber bands go around.

Can I ask what type of glue you used (Elmer's white, wood, etc.)?

Also, I have not measured the diameter of the rubber "bands" but from my perspective, they look just like the 1/2" faucet-style ring gaskets you can pick up at just about any hardware store...

Stu Holmes April 11th, 2006 10:26 AM

It was just Bostik general purpose liquid glue in a small metal tube - picked up in a supermarket in Australia. I know some glues can affect some plastics, but it's just general purpose glue and it said on the tube that it glues rubber & most plastics. It certainly did the job - no squeaks and no more lost rubber bands.

Doug Boze April 11th, 2006 12:42 PM

I think the glue idea is sound, if you'll pardon the pun. Use something safe like Weldbond (non-toxic white glue) or a sealant, such as Permatex Black Rubber Sealant (essentially neoprene in solution). A dab of silicone could also work.

As for the "rubber bands", go to you local auto-parts store, or even the plumbing section of a well-stocked DIY place, and look for O-rings. That's all they are. If you want extra-fancy O-rings, look up McMaster-Carr and find O-rings made of a variety of materials.