Sound Design at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 11th, 2006, 06:22 AM   #1
New Boot

Sound Design

I was just wondering, what programs do you all use for sound?

Im looking specifically at programs that will help with creating music that are somewhat composition-based. Im getting kinda sick of the old frootyloops, do you guys have any suggestions?
Ben Outerbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2006, 06:34 AM   #2
Wrangler

Hi Ben, and welcome to DVinfo. I've moved your post to our audio forum where I think you'll get a better response. But first I think you'll need to tell us what kind of computer you're using....
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2006, 07:14 AM   #3

ACID, Sonar, Soundtrack Pro, Logic, CuBase, Musicator, Sound Forge, Peak, Audition, Protools, Voyetra, and so many more are all tools with which you can create sound or juice existing sounds.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2006, 07:50 AM   #4
Major Player

CuBase when I need the editing power and 4-channel simultaneous recording, but I really like the simple little SoundStudio applett that came with my Mac.
Old April 11th, 2006, 08:50 AM   #5
Inner Circle

If you're on a budget you can try Audacity, a free open source recording and editing program for windows. They claim up to 16 tracks can be recorded at a time with proper hardware. A version came with my M-Audio Microtrack 24/96. I have Soundforge and Vegas so I don't need it, but it appears to be quite handy.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
Old April 11th, 2006, 09:53 AM   #6
Inner Circle

If your budget will allow, the combination of Wavelab and Nuendo, both from Steinberg, are starting to give Protools a run for the money in the broadcast and feature film markets.
Old April 14th, 2006, 10:11 PM   #7
New Boot

sound tools

I use (in any order according to the project and/or creative whim of the moment) Steinberg CubaseSX, Nuendo, a collection of VST Plug-Ins (tons), VST Instruments (Halion, Stylus RMX, others), SoundTrack Pro, Garage Band, Bias Peak, and my 3 most useful assets: artistry, creativity, and experience. (when functioning!) :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Outerbridge
I was just wondering, what programs do you all use for sound?

Im looking specifically at programs that will help with creating music that are somewhat composition-based. Im getting kinda sick of the old frootyloops, do you guys have any suggestions?
www.sunlightdigital.com
allen@sunlightdigital.com
tel: 310-548-5888
cel: 310-803-0978
=============================
Allen Kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 07:27 AM   #8
New Boot

Ben,

I use Logic for composition because it has the handy little feature of allowing you to output video to a client monitor via a firewire video output during playback, and timecode built in. It's great for composing, especially because of the really high quality instruments it comes with (the exs24 sampler is amazing, for instance).

Also, for standard audio editing, protools is a good option, and not as expensive as it has been in the past (mbox or m-audio card with protools mpowered are both very affordable complete recording, editing and mixing systems)... pretty much any of the popular daw's will work for you - cubase, sonar and digital performer can be nice and functional programs.

I suggest trying as many as you can and seeing which one you really feel comfortable with, features and operationally.
Jared Silvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2006, 01:02 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Vote for Nuendo! Or Pro Tools if you want to spend the money.
Phil Hover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2006, 06:37 PM   #10
New Boot

yeah, the major benefit of Nuendo over pro tools is that it comes with the ability to edit with timecode out of the box... where as Pro Tools LE requires the "DV Toolkit" to be added (it's almost a grand extra).

on the other hand, if you don't need timecode for anything (again, it's useful to have the timecode in your digital audio workstation match the timecode of your edit reels), Pro Tools might end up being cheaper (mbox is 550 with the factory bundled fx and comes with protools software, where as nuendo is 1999 and pretty much comes with everything).

Steinberg's Cubase software (Nuendo's little brother) is pretty darned capable as well, and can also handle a video track in projects.... and it's only $500.00
Jared Silvia is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio