Source for royalty-free "TV chatter?" at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 11th, 2006, 02:10 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Source for royalty-free "TV chatter?"

I'm currently editing a narrative piece that calls for one character to be watching an off-screen TV during several scenes. The script calls specifically for Animal Planet, but obviously we can't use "real" Animal Planet audio without permission if my director wants to avoid legal issues when submitting to film to festivals and so forth, and the chances of a student production being able to afford licensing fees are, I imagine, approximately zero. Can anyone think of anywhere one might find something that sounds more or less like a Nature documentary under a free-or-student-affordable-liscense?

The first thing that leaps to mind is writing the narration myself, having someone read it in the studio, and then adding some relevant "nature sounds" from the sound-effects library. This might work, but would take additional effort and has the risk of coming off as very obviously fake. Has anyone done this? Can it work?

When all is said and done, I need to procure about five minutes of background chatter.

Best Regards,
Ryan Spicer
Ryan Spicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2006, 02:16 PM   #2

Sounds like what you're looking for is "walla." I've never watched the Animal Planet, so don't know what your sounds are like, but it would be easy to create in most any multi-track audio software, and you could likely emulate exactly what you hear on Animal Planet, and maybe have some fun doing it.
Bear in mind that for a 5 minute piece, you could probably get away with taking a shorter loop, cutting it into bits, and rearranging those bits for a longer piece without it appearing to be looped.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2006, 09:04 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Just use your best Aussie accent and yell 'Danger, danger, danger -- aye mate' - that should be pretty obvious for any US viewer. ;) All the Aussies I know say they don't really like Steve Irwin (and he's not big in Australia), but he's made his mark on this side of the pond.
Shawn Redford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio