Still possible with a laptop? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 11th, 2006, 04:11 PM   #31
Inner Circle

Download the free Audacity audio editing program and see if you have any better luck. Beyond that I don't have any help to offer as I've never used the iMic nor since upgrading to 2.0 do I have Audition 1.5 installed to take a look at for ideas for you to try. Maybe someone else has some experience with it and will have something to offer out but I'm fresh out of ideas. The fact is, it may turn out you might not be able to use the iMic with Audition after all - Audition is designed to work with pro gear which the iMic definitely is not. There could be lots of issues such as poor or incompatible drivers, etc at work here and it's hard to guess what's going on..
Old May 11th, 2006, 05:03 PM   #32
Major Player

Well, I tried GoldWave, and it semed to work a lot more reliably, since I got it, I've had better luck with Audition. I had to tweak settings with the Wave Mapper and device etc. Although I still have the stereo problem. I record in mono and then just copy the left channel to the right for a fake stereo effect. The quality is better than recording straight into my Mic-In though. Is it to do with the cable I'm using? A guitar lead with two stereo jacks with mini-stereo converters on them going from my PC to Laptop. When I used that cable straight into my mic-in, the sound was in stereo.
Aviv Hallale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2006, 08:16 PM   #33
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviv Hallale
Well, I tried GoldWave, and it semed to work a lot more reliably, since I got it, I've had better luck with Audition. I had to tweak settings with the Wave Mapper and device etc. Although I still have the stereo problem. I record in mono and then just copy the left channel to the right for a fake stereo effect. The quality is better than recording straight into my Mic-In though. Is it to do with the cable I'm using? A guitar lead with two stereo jacks with mini-stereo converters on them going from my PC to Laptop. When I used that cable straight into my mic-in, the sound was in stereo.
The cable and converter combination could be it. The converter could be shorting the tip and ring together or they could be shorting the ring to the sleeve - hard to say for sure. When you say you're getting mono, does that mean you're getting signal on the left channel only and the right channel is silent? If so, I'll bet your converter is designed to convert a balanced cable to an unbalanced input - A TRS connector used for stereo puts the left channel on the tip, the right channel on the ring, and the common ground to the sleeve. A balanced cable has signal hot on the tip, signal cold on the ring, and ground/shield to the sleeve. A balanced to unbalanced converter leaves the signal on the tip and shunts the ring to the sleeve, grounding signal cold. If that's what you have in your connection instead of a stereo adapter, the right channel is shorted to ground and goes silent. If you have a ohmmeter, see if you have a ring to sleeve short circuit somewhere.
Old May 12th, 2006, 03:51 AM   #34
Major Player

Yeah, sound in the left but the right is silent, unless I connect the cable straight into the Mic-In, where there is a signal in both channels...What can I do to get a stereo output with the iMic's Line In?
Old May 12th, 2006, 04:17 AM   #35
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviv Hallale
Yeah, sound in the left but the right is silent, unless I connect the cable straight into the Mic-In, where there is a signal in both channels...What can I do to get a stereo output with the iMic's Line In?
What exactly are the cables and adapters you're using?
Old May 13th, 2006, 12:33 AM   #36
Major Player

Aviv,

My two cents worth:

You say that when you used the same cable configuration going directly into the notebook you had stereo. Was this really stereo or was it actually just mono on both channels? Remember that a mic-in jack on a notebook is nearly always a mono input jack so even if you fed it stereo it would still be a mono recording but on both channels. If the latter was the case then I would say that it is your cables.

Another reason that I suspect the cables is simply due to the fact that when you plug a mono source into a stereo input you normally always just get sound on the left channel by default.

By the way (I'm sure I don't have to tell you but just in case) mono on two tracks is NOT stereo.

We are not supposed to put links on this site to suppliers other than the sponsors so if you email me I will give you the name of a very big music shop in Cape Town. They have all this type of gear and have been very good to me i.e. I live in Johannesburg and have ordered stuff from them over the phone on their recommendation, without even seeing the goods first, and have been extremely happy upon receipt - one of the few places here that actually know what they are talking about!

Regards,

Dale.
Dale Paterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2006, 07:36 PM   #37
Major Player

Well, here's the result...

Came out really well, I think.

http://www.streamload.com/Neverdead/THC.mpg (Right-Click Save Target As)

55mb

It's a big file, I know, but it's the only thing that can compare to the 1.2gb original in terms of sound and passable video quality.
Old May 16th, 2006, 05:43 AM   #38
Trustee

Just a post discussion add-on and not the better solution in most cases, but...

Creative Labs does now make a PC Card/PCMCIA Audigy 2.
George Ellis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio