Good (super) cheap lav mics at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 9th, 2006, 03:23 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Good (super) cheap lav mics

I know this has been discussed before but usually when everyone replies to this post the lavs they sugest are still in upwards of $100. Please keep in my mind I wont really be doing any major professional work with this lav, its mainly just a backup so that I actually have one in case I need one one day for an interview type situation. I imagine I would only use it on a person sitting down in a quiet room. Just something that gets the job done effectively. Here's a brief list from B&H, and other recommendations are welcome.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...rch&Q=&ci=8903

or even the ATR35s that B&H doesnt carry or the Giant Squid mics, which I know nothing about.
Thanks for any help.

p.s. in case in matters, i have a GL2 and a Beachtek DX4.
Chris Scharff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 03:36 PM   #2
Major Player

If you're in Atlanta why not rent what you need for the day?
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 11:41 PM   #3
Regular Crew

The only problem with cheap mics is that they don't have xlr connectors.
The Bescor mic on B&H is one example. I've used it a couple of times and it works great. But it's a 1/4" output. I've used the Audiotechnica ATR35 too and it's not a bad mic.. but it has a 3.5mm output. Have you tried ebay for some secondhand lavaliers?
Hsien Yong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 01:07 AM   #4
Wrangler

Rode mini-jack to XLR adapter.
Old May 10th, 2006, 03:09 AM   #5
Major Player

You know I am looking into those too but it will be hooked up to a mini disc and be placed later in post production.
Fred Foronda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 02:12 PM   #6
DVCreators.Net

Since you already have the BeachTek XLR adapter, definitely go for a more professional lav with an XLR connection!

A lot of the 1/8" miniplug lavs put you on a short leash and if you extend the cable you may get annoying buzz. The RODE 1/8" mini to XLR Michael suggests above may do the trick, I've had good luck with the VXLR extending the RODE Videomic 20'.

Maybe check out eBay for the Sony ECM 44, 55, 66 or 77's also the Audio Technica AT899.

These pop up every now and again for around $100 used. Heck I've bought Countryman lavs for $100 off eBay, used 'em for a year and flipped back for the same price I got them for. I think to someone on these boards if I remember right :) Those Countryman B3's are great if you have Phantom Power. Since they're used in Theater performances quite a bit, there is turnover on these as used equipment, you'll find them if you're patient and not in so much of a hurry.

Since the BeachTek DXA-4 does not supply phantom power, make sure whatever mic you get operates w/ an AA battery (or similar). A lot of hardwired XLR based lavs are Phantom Power only.

Good luck,
Old May 10th, 2006, 02:48 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Cochran
Since you already have the BeachTek XLR adapter, definitely go for a more professional lav with an XLR connection!

A lot of the 1/8" miniplug lavs put you on a short leash and if you extend the cable you may get annoying buzz. The RODE 1/8" mini to XLR Michael suggests above may do the trick, I've had good luck with the VXLR extending the RODE Videomic 20'.

Maybe check out eBay for the Sony ECM 44, 55, 66 or 77's also the Audio Technica AT899.

These pop up every now and again for around $100 used. Heck I've bought Countryman lavs for $100 off eBay, used 'em for a year and flipped back for the same price I got them for. I think to someone on these boards if I remember right :) Those Countryman B3's are great if you have Phantom Power. Since they're used in Theater performances quite a bit, there is turnover on these as used equipment, you'll find them if you're patient and not in so much of a hurry.

Since the BeachTek DXA-4 does not supply phantom power, make sure whatever mic you get operates w/ an AA battery (or similar). A lot of hardwired XLR based lavs are Phantom Power only.

Good luck,
FYI - even with the Rode mini-to-XLR adapter the entire system remains unbalanced and you do not get the noise-resistance advantages of a balanced mic & cable.
Old May 10th, 2006, 09:34 PM   #8
DVi Contributor

Buuuuuuuuuzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz,, HummmmmmmmmmMummmmm,Buuuuzzzzzzzzzz. HIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

Now repeat that over and over and see how many times you can do it before it drives you crazy.
Sound, or the lack of good sound has driven more people out of a screening than anything else. If you don't believe me then goto any film festival and set in on some of the films.
If you need a mic save your money and buy a good mic. Also try some of the high end sound rental houses. they often will have good stuff for sale from their rental dept at half the price of new. TAI or Trew audio. Great stuff fir backup.
Craig Chartier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2006, 04:28 PM   #9
Regular Crew

any cheapo suggestions....

Thanks for the replies and the info.
I guess I should have mentioned that I do in fact have a mini-to-XLR connecter that that I got here http://www.ramelectronics.net/ that I use with my Rode Videomic.
Like I said before I just need a dirt cheap lav for emergencies, you know just so I have one in my bag. I'm never gonna use it for anything that would ever be screened, so quality isnt at the top of my list, just price and the ability, and for around $30 its not a big deal.
S out of the list from B&H above, is there one somebody has used with decent quality or one that comes more recommended? It's basically between the Bescor and the Sonys. Thanks again.
Chris Scharff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2006, 08:39 AM   #10
Major Player

I have a pair of Tandy tie-clip mics that do the job OK. They distort if you over-load them (e.g. on the end of a concertina when the player hits five buttons at once!), and I don't think their frequency response is anything to shout about. On the other hand they were £15 each and they are still working fine 10 years later. They need an SR44 watch-cell battery and give unbalanced output on 3.5mm mini-jack.
Old June 1st, 2006, 10:50 AM   #11
Major Player

Chris

- a vote for Giant Squid.

Mono omni lav:
http://www.giant-squid-audio-lab.com/gs/gs-mono1.htm

$25.
try it - it's only 25bucks !
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio