Help with sound acoustics... Pics at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 16th, 2006, 12:15 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Help with sound acoustics... Pics

I don't know much about sound acoustics, and was wondering if I could get some info on what I should do for my setup. (Video Production) Take a look at the Pics...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...gh/SetPic1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...gh/SetPic2.jpg

I work for a non-prophet organization and just got permission to up grade the studio a lil bit... I can spend about $400 on Sound acoustics... My room is about 24 by 24 and I have this Auralex 1" Studiofoam Wedge on the front and back of the room that's it. (mostly on front) what should I be doing differently? I don't do Music recording, just monitor playback of videos and such, also I record voice overs from time to time. Anyone???
Pat Engh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2006, 12:34 PM   #2
Major Player

When doing voice-overs, I have found that having the foam, (I use Sonnex) close to the talent and microphone has the best effect. I box in talent with panels on three sides and this cuts most reflections and makes for a tight voice over.
Glenn Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 06:47 AM   #3
Regular Crew

So you're telling me you work for an anti-religion organization? (non-prophet)

Kids, don't try puns this bad at home. Leave it to the professionals.
Dave Halliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 07:26 AM   #4

The FIRST thing I'd recommend doing is
1. Getting monitors away from wall (which would also de-couple them from wall, since it appears they're on a shelf screwed to wall)

2. Move everything else back from wall to allow for monitors to be away from wall.

3. Get some Auralex MoPads.

4. If your tower is noisy, check into fans and other parts that would allow you to dampen it.

For 400.00, you're limited, but at the same time, it can go a long way. How big is the room? What are your monitoring levels like? What is your primary workflow/scenario?
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 09:46 AM   #5
Major Player

OT: And maybe move that tv monitor away from the tapes on the wall. A tv's magnet fields can easily delete all content on the tape/s on the wall.

/Roger
Old May 17th, 2006, 09:57 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Averdahl
OT:A tv's magnet fields can easily delete all content on the tape/s on the wall.

/Roger
Good general advice to keep TV's generally away from tapes, but the small magnet in the loudspeakers on a TV isn't anywhere near strong enough to delete content on a tape. Magnets used in the drive units of proper big loudpspeakers are more powerful but again, the magnetic field isn't anywhere near strong enough or close enough to delete content.

Still it's a point worth making to be aware of your tapes in proximity to strong magnetic fields.

hejda
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 10:03 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Carpet,

Go to your local carpet outlet and buy some neutral colors and cover the cabinets and any other cabinetry with metal or wood. You can always just tack in on, so as it not to be permanent. Any of that wood is going to bounce sound around, so that's one idea of what I would do, and it be pretty cheap.
Old May 17th, 2006, 10:18 AM   #8

Carpet, especially the polyfibres of today's carpets, do virtually nothing except deflect high freq's to another location. Some carpet will increase the room's absorption in high freqs, but mostly just deflects, which in some rooms will sometimes lead to diffusion. Killing reflection is a good thing, but using proper applications is a huge part of that. Carpet can also violate building codes depending on where you are.
Carpet is next to zero in value overall, and while many would like to argue that, aside from my own experience, there are hundreds of websites from professionals that will articulate and support my position.
Additionally, you'll see people using eggcrate foams. Not only is this illegal in all states now (after the fire in Rhode Island) but additionally, it isn't good to use as it breaks down quickly, absorbs very little below 5k, and diffuses poorly due to the retardant they put on the foam.

http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/myths.htm has some good starting points.
Old May 17th, 2006, 10:25 AM   #9
Major Player

Bass traps in the corners and where the walls meet the ceiling could help out too. The big foam wedge ones are cheap on eeebay...
Chris Luker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 10:26 AM   #10
Regular Crew

That aurelex isn't too great as the frequencies drop.

I'd look into a book like "home studio blueprint" or other low budget home studio construction books. They go into some length regarding room size and shape and the problems you'll get.

Best of all, they're packed with DIY sound control plans; from making wood frames with fiberglass fill & fabric covers, using things like couches & bookshelf positions as bass traps, when to use pegboard vs. burlap, etc. A lot of insight on what materials work with which frequencies, and how to listen to your room and identify what frequencies are problems (and how to focus on those frequencies).

Just sticking some foam on the walls means you're relying on luck; you need some specific edumacation! And it's out there... start spending your $$ on a good guide, you'll spend less on treatments.
Michael Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 11:23 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
Carpet can also violate building codes depending on where you are.
Carpet is next to zero in value overall, and while many would like to argue that, aside from my own experience, there are hundreds of websites from professionals that will articulate and support my position.
http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/myths.htm has some good starting points.
Hehe, Douglas, I was just thinking that if he had 20 bucks or so left over, in addition to all the manufactured insulators he'd be buying, covering up those cabinets couldn't hurt. I wasn't arguing, just throwing out the carpet idea in addition to all the good stuff that has been posted.

By the way Douglas, my Z1 and other stuff should be here tomorrow or Friday. I can't wait.
Old May 17th, 2006, 11:45 AM   #12

Covering the cabs won't hurt at all, and will help in that if the correct materials are used to cover them, it will dampen the resonance of the cabinet itself. Carpet unfortunately, isn't the optimal answer.

congrats on getting your Z1 and accessories! You'll be lovin' it!

re: auralex as freq's drop...without a total redesign of the room, it's still the best available option (not just Auralex, any product made for this realm works great) at affordable pricing. This is part of why I asked the question about monitoring levels. And as Chris Luker points out, Lenr'ds or something like them will make a huge difference.
Numbers on paper are one thing, but actual working experience is another. I've probably installed at least 10 semi-loads of acoustic treatment over the past 20 years, and learned some VERY expensive lessons. One of them is going well beyond the math and numbers, and working from experience.
Old May 17th, 2006, 01:23 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
congrats on getting your Z1 and accessories! You'll be lovin' it!
Thanks Douglas, we're going to do some nature shooting to get aquainted with it. I'll be a decent step up from my Gl2. And I sit corrected about the carpet. :}
Old May 17th, 2006, 02:44 PM   #14
New Boot

In terms of magnetic fields, keep in mind that the TV monitor also has probably 4 electromagnets inside of it to aim the electrons fired from the electron gun inside the CRT.
Zach Wolfson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 03:39 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Wolfson
In terms of magnetic fields, keep in mind that the TV monitor also has probably 4 electromagnets inside of it to aim the electrons fired from the electron gun inside the CRT.
Correct! This was the magnet fields i was reffering to in my post.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio