Advice on new audio equipment please at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 19th, 2006, 03:22 PM   #1
Major Player

Advice on new audio equipment please

Hello,

I have a Sony VX2100, Beachtek DXA-6, Sony MDR-7506 headphones and I want to complete the audio setup for my camera. I've now got the money for buying some new stuff and would like to ask your advice on this. Firstly, I want to get a good shotgun which can be attached to the camera and to a boom if necessary. I've had my eyes on the Rode NTG-2 which seems to be a pretty awesome tool. Do you recommend it and could you please tell me what are the necessary accessories in order to attach the mic to the boom? I believe that it needs some kind of a shock-mount and attaching unit?

Secondly I need a normal-class (not too expensive) wireless lavalier microphone system. Could you please suggest something in 200-400 USD price range?

Thanks a lot and I'm looking forward to your replies!
Old May 19th, 2006, 06:24 PM   #2
DVCreators.Net

The RODE NTG-2 is a nice mic for the price. It will work well with your BeachTek DXA-6.

The RODE SM3 is a shockmount that can be attached to the camera's cold shoe, but also has a 3/8" connection to attach it to a boom pole.

Sennheiser makes the MZSCAM shockmount for camera cold shoe too. A little more flimsy, and still in the $50 price range.

Then there is K-TEK that has a rather "burly" set-up at http://mklemme.com/pole/dvcam.html

For a wireless lav in the $200-$400 range....I'd have to say, save up for the Sennheiser Evolution G2 wireless at $499 or you may regret buying a $250 azden or something that will wind up in a drawer after it burns you on a gig.

Though if you must, there is a VHF Audio Technica. The Pro 88W that can work, if ya just gotta do it. But make sure you get the one with the MT830MW mic. Model should be W88-13-830. This is an "ok" system if you can afford redo's due to hits.

Hope this helps,
Old May 20th, 2006, 01:47 AM   #3
Major Player

Thank you very much for the tips, Guy. I will probably go with the NTG-2 or NTG-1 (this is probably enough as I already get power from the DXA). However, you really put me thinking about the Evolution G2! It seems to be a really neat setup at great quality. The price is pretty high for me, but I'll try to do my best. I have to get the shotgun as well, you know :)

Btw, does NTG come with some kind of shoe mount? I'm a bit afraid at those camera shock-mounts, because I tried Rode VideoMic on VX2100 and the mount totally blocked the buttons on the handle. Can the NTG placed so that it doesn't block them?
Old May 20th, 2006, 04:39 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georg Liigand

Btw, does NTG come with some kind of shoe mount? I'm a bit afraid at those camera shock-mounts, because I tried Rode VideoMic on VX2100 and the mount totally blocked the buttons on the handle. Can the NTG placed so that it doesn't block them?
Looks like it's a conventional mic stand topper that comes with the mic. Take a look at the K-Tek camera mount suggested in another post
Old May 20th, 2006, 03:47 PM   #5
DVCreators.Net

Rycote makes a pretty groovy hot shoe extender for cheap. "Rycote Hot Shoe Multiplier and Extension Adapter "

Search for it over at http://www.markertek.com/

I just got one. That should solve your issue and work great with the RODE SM3 shockmount and RODE NTG-2.

I would suggest getting the NTG-2 even though you have phantom power.

Why?

Because if you ever get the Sennheiser Evolution G2 wireless ENG kit with the SKP-100 plug-on transmitter to make the shotgun wireless the NTG-2 will be able to run on it's own power. The SKP-100 does not supply phantom power.

If you have QuickTime, check out the example in the "theatre" called "Location Sound package to see what I mean. You can get there via the link below.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio