Videomike on FX1 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 23rd, 2006, 11:47 AM   #16
Inner Circle

The video mic isn't XLR, though Rode do make an adapter if you wanted to use it on the A1 or Z1, say.

The stock stereo mic is a goodie, but the Rode is a shotgun, so it is listening forwards rather than to left and right of the camera as the in-built mic is. Being a shotgun doesn't mean it hears from a distance though - it's still designed to be used close to the source of the noise - like all mics bar the parabolic reflector types.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 12:03 PM   #17
New Boot

Hmmm...interesting, I think I'm just going to test the stock at first...especially because most of the recording will be centered on the talent and their set-up is usually amps and vocal equip spread equally on the left and right side. If it does look like I'll need one I'll pick up a videomic at B&H when I get to New York.

Thanks for the advice! Certainly puts me a bit more at ease...
Randy Chisolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 12:09 PM   #18
New Boot

Randy, yes. The Videomic works with the FX1 without any additional equipment (it does need a 9v battery). Just mount the mic, plug the Rode Videomic mini-jack into your camera's mic input, adjust the camera's settings to use the external mic and you have yourself an acceptable shotgun mic.

It was a stretch to get the Videomic's cable to the FX1's jack input, but it does just barely make it.

I don't know if it's the best mic for concert footage, but it is better than the camera mic. Definitely use headphones to monitor the audio. I also think I've read on these forums that the Videomic is mono, but feeds the camera as stereo (with the same track twice, I guess). Although, you might search around on the forums to verify this.
Chad Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 12:42 PM   #19
Inner Circle

That's right Chad, it's a mono mic that's wired into a stereo mini plug. The same signal is recorded in phase on both audio channels, so appears to come out of the middle of your screen when you play back the tape on a stereo TV.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio