Monitors: JBL Pro vrs Genelec at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 21st, 2006, 05:11 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Monitors: JBL Pro vrs Genelec

Close to getting a pair of audio monitors for my video & audio editing workstation. Anyone have any experience with and feedback on JBL Pro, specifically their new LSR4326P and LSR4328P monitors? How do you feel they compare to the Genelec 8030a and 8040a monitors or DynaAudio BM5a or BM6a?

So far I've been thinking towards the Genelec 8030a or DynAudio BM5a as the lower budget options and the Genelec 8040a or DynAudio BM6a as the max budget choices. How do the JBLs look as viable third options? (The 6" LSR4326P seems to sit right in the middle of those two price ranges and the 8" LSR4328P is in the same price range as the other two high budget speakers.)

I'm especially drawn to the JBL's automatic room equalization feature since my present location is in my home-office, ie, a corner of the living room of our apartment, and is far from ideal acoustically. Going to put some Auralex absorbers on the walls behind and beside the desk but there's only so much I can do with it until we move to new digs.

Last edited by Steve House; May 21st, 2006 at 06:16 AM.
Steve House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2006, 06:54 AM   #2
Major Player

All Three of these choices are good, it's more subjective rather than a clear cut winner. I personally think the Genelecs are too hyped sounding, but that's just my preference. Dynaudio's are very nice and so are the JBL's. I really wanted to buy the JBL LSR (older model) but they stopped making them because the carbon finish was too difficult to get consistent. I haven't tried the new ones yet. I would also try the Yamaha MSP10's too.
Michael Fossenkemper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio