Canon GL-2 & Beachteks DX4P at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 21st, 2006, 03:12 PM   #1
Major Player

Canon GL-2 & Beachteks DX4P

A "Marriage" made in heaven?

A couple of months ago I got a GL-2 for church ministry use.Their PA system has an 800 watt amp with no equalizer between it and the mixing board.Even with the volume knob for that channel turned to minimal on the board the output into the camcorder is so hot it's nothing but distorted!I need a workable way to reduce such a strong signal so I don't blow or damage the AV board especially being so new.Is the onboard GL-2 attentuator good for anything?This box is being sold for approx $170.00 which seems to be as low as I can find.I was curious what you think of these,to hear your experience and is it the solution to my problem?Is it money well spent?Plan to buy it in just a few days.Any of you guys utilized the "improved" version which has been out almost a year (or so I've been told).

Thanks so much.
Bruce
Bruce Pelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2006, 03:27 PM   #2

Which board output? Aux? Monitor? Headphone? Sum? Tape deck? Line?
Inline attenuators are made for this, depending on the output, you likely need to go from line to mic, or get a Beachtek w/a line input. There are actually several models of the Beachtek products, all in varying qualities depending on your specific needs.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2006, 04:06 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Pelley
A "Marriage" made in heaven?

A couple of months ago I got a GL-2 for church ministry use.Their PA system has an 800 watt amp with no equalizer between it and the mixing board.Even with the volume knob for that channel turned to minimal on the board the output into the camcorder is so hot it's nothing but distorted!I need a workable way to reduce such a strong signal so I don't blow or damage the AV board especially being so new.Is the onboard GL-2 attentuator good for anything?This box is being sold for approx $170.00 which seems to be as low as I can find.I was curious what you think of these,to hear your experience and is it the solution to my problem?Is it money well spent?Plan to buy it in just a few days.Any of you guys utilized the "improved" version which has been out almost a year (or so I've been told).

Thanks so much.
Bruce
The PA amp is feeding the mixing board????
Old May 22nd, 2006, 03:48 PM   #4
Regular Crew

whoa!

Do NOT run a powered input to ANY camera, deck, etc etc. You are risking blowing the audio circuit board which could be fatal to the camera. Make sure you are running line, unpowered audio. I use a Shure barrel in-line audio attenuator and gives me a -15dB pad. Needs phantom power. I paid $10 but $30 - $40 normally. Or have you tried lowering the level of audio on the camera?
Daniel Wang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio