Hypercardioids better off-axis than cardioids? at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 22nd, 2006, 02:52 PM   #1
Trustee
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,483
Hypercardioids better off-axis than cardioids?

Just read someone's opinion that, generally,
the hypers have better off-axis response than
the cardioids. Was a bit surprised to see
this. I had just assumed cards would be
better. Anyone know anything about this?
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2006, 05:08 PM   #2
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Largent
Just read someone's opinion that, generally,
the hypers have better off-axis response than
the cardioids. Was a bit surprised to see
this. I had just assumed cards would be
better. Anyone know anything about this?
I suppose it would depend on what was meant by "better response." As I understand it, hypers and cardioids have very similar off-axis frequency response characteristics. Hypers have a much narrower front lobe than cardioids and have a bit of a "tail," a rear lobe that the cardioids don't have but the shape of both of their lobe patterns is not nearly as frequency dependent as is that of a shotgun.
__________________
Good news, Cousins! This week's chocolate ration is 15 grams!
Steve House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 03:59 AM   #3
Kino-Eye
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House
As I understand it, hypers and cardioids have very similar off-axis frequency response characteristics.
The difference between a cardioid and hypercardioid is that in the middle to high frequency range the hypercardioid will exhibit more off-axis rejection, which in reality is not rejection, but attenuation and coloration of off-axis sounds. This is one of those things that is best understood by listening and swapping between two mics in a variety of situations. Different microphones will have slighly different off-axis coloration characteristics in addition to their pick up patterns.
__________________
David Tames { blog: http://Kino-Eye.com twitter: @cinemakinoeye }
David Tamés is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 06:32 AM   #4
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tames
The difference between a cardioid and hypercardioid is that in the middle to high frequency range the hypercardioid will exhibit more off-axis rejection, which in reality is not rejection, but attenuation and coloration of off-axis sounds. This is one of those things that is best understood by listening and swapping between two mics in a variety of situations. Different microphones will have slighly different off-axis coloration characteristics in addition to their pick up patterns.
If you look at the polar patterns of typical hypers such as the Schoeps MK41, AKG CK63 & CK93, or AT 4053a they don't exhibit that behavior at all. If fact, just the opposite, with less rejection from the sides and rear in the highest frequency ranges above 8k than in frequencies below that and the way their patterns vary with frequency is very similar to the way a cardioid's pattern vary. While there are differences in rejection at various frequencies, neither cardioids nor hypers exhibit what one might consider huge differences in response over the frequency ranges that we might typically be concerned with in video production. Line gradient mics - shotguns - OTOH exhibit radically different responses over frequency.
__________________
Good news, Cousins! This week's chocolate ration is 15 grams!
Steve House is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:54 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network