What to trust, the meter or my ears? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 29th, 2006, 12:49 PM   #16
Kino-Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tames
It's often debated if peaking at -12 dB is too hot and -20 dB should be used as the reference. The issue is that if you go over -12dB peak, you might have a problem with distortion if you go to an analog format like Betacam SP (assuming you line up -12db on your NLE to 0db on the analog system). While 0db in digital is a brick wall, 0db in analog still allows for some headroom with +3db peaks not considered a problem. As long as you have good dynamic range, don't be concerned about much of the program being below your peak levels, but you should be concerned about too much peaking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford
[...] ***STOP! the -20 dB you refer to as standard reference is for a 1 kHz tone, not peak audio. You set tone at -20 and have room from -20 to 0 for your peaks [...]
Ty, let me rewrite that so it actually makes sense (what was I thinking?) and does not mislead anyone, please tell me if the following paragraph makes sense now (consider the following a draft for comment):
It's often debated if your average signal should hover around -12 db or -20 db, it's a question of how much headroom you want to allow for the peak portion of your program, which should not go over 0 db. It also has lots to do with the overall dynamic range of your mix. As long as you have a good signal with peaks and valleys that average around -12 dB with plenty of peaking up the -3 db range and a few right to 0 db (it's good to use a limiter on the final mix), don't be too concerned about some of the program being closer to -12 db than 0 db, as long as the average hover just over -12db. -20 average makes sense for production recording, but for a final mix you're better off with -12db average and a healthy number of peaks in the -6db to -3db range.

A separate issue is dealing with other formats downstream, one issue is that if you have most of the peaks right up against the 0 dB brick wall all of the time, you might have a problem with distortion if you then go to an analog format downsteam like Betacam SP (assuming you line up -12db reference TONE on your NLE to 0db analog on the analog system). 0db analog still allows for quite a bit of headroom with +3db analog peaks not considered a problem, in fact it is good to see a reasonable number of peaks over 0 dB analog.
Ty, please, set me straight here.
Old May 29th, 2006, 12:58 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Hi David,

Pretty much. I use a combo meter that shows RMS and peak simultaneously. The meter has a "peak hold" feature that indicates where that peak hit for a few seconds before going back down. That's helpful in case I'm looking away for a moment.

I generally don't pay much attention to the RMS level after I set levels with a reference tone. I DO pay a lot of attention to the peak level.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2006, 01:15 PM   #18
Kino-Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tames
Ty, let me rewrite that so it actually makes sense [...] for a final mix you're better off with -12db average and a healthy number of peaks in the -6db to -3db range. [...]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford
Hi David, Pretty much [...]
Thanks Ty, DVi is a really awesome board, where else do things like this get straightened out so quickly, efficiently, and accurately, like this?

Last edited by David Tamés; May 29th, 2006 at 01:52 PM.
David Tamés is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio