XLR Adapters question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 28th, 2006, 03:58 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XLR Adapters question

Hello
I recently purchased a couple of XLR to mini 3.5mm adapters for my Panasonic DVC60's XLR inputs and realized they are for high impedance devices and do not work on my camera.

Any idea what these adapters can be used for? Is there something my camera can use them with?

Thanks in advance for any help
Monte Comeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2006, 04:03 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monte Comeau
Hello
I recently purchased a couple of XLR to mini 3.5mm adapters for my Panasonic DVC60's XLR inputs and realized they are for high impedance devices and do not work on my camera.

Any idea what these adapters can be used for? Is there something my camera can use them with?

Thanks in advance for any help
You need to find out how they are wired before doing anything with them. Get a meter or cable tester to verify. What are the genders of each side of the adapters? Is the mini side a TS or TRS connector? XLRs can be connected to a phone jack or plug is several different ways depending on the usage. Balance to balanced connects XLR2 to TRS tip, XLR 3 to TRS ring, and XLR 1 to TRS sleeve. Balanced to unbalanced connects XLR 2 to TS/TRS tip, XLR 3 to TS sleeve or TRS ring and sleeve, XLR 1 to cable shield and either unconnected at mini side or connected also to sleeve along with pin 3.
Old May 29th, 2006, 08:55 AM   #3
Regular Crew

These are 3 pin Male XLR to female 1/4" I have an 1/4" to mini adapter on them so my mics would fit..

Says Hi-Z Unbalanced /Low-Z Balanced.
They are the Radio Shack 274-017c model.

I don't know if they are compatible with my camera or not, or what to use them with if they were.
Monte Comeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2006, 09:45 AM   #4
Fred Retread

Monte, that adapter takes the signal appearing between the tip and the sleeve of a 1/4" plug and applies it between pins 2 and 3 of the XLR plug. It's intended the XLR plug be the output end of the adapter.

You could use it backwards together with your 1/4" to 3.5mm adapter to connect an XLR mic to the 3.5 mm input jack of a camcorder but you'd have to add a male to female XLR gender changer. And the signal would be applied to only one channel of a stereo input unless you added yet another adapter--a mono to stereo one. Kind of cumbersome.
Old May 29th, 2006, 10:46 AM   #5
Regular Crew

OK...I guess these things are useless to me. Anyone want them? They can be yours for the cost of shipping.
Monte Comeau is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio