ME-64 vs Rode NTG-1/2 for outdoors. Need help pretty quick at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 29th, 2006, 08:04 PM   #1
Regular Crew

ME-64 vs Rode NTG-1/2 for outdoors. Need help pretty quick

What really is the overall advantage of the Rode mic outdoors? Or any outdoor mic for that matter? I have the ME-64 and do a lot of shooting indoors, but bbout 40% of what I shoot is outdoors...would I really notice that much of a difference by going with a different mic? I do not do anything professional, but love to get the best from what I have so I would really like to know what I would expect from an outdoor mic?

Thanks everyone...
Michael Stowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2006, 09:31 AM   #2
Major Player

Well NTG1 isn't really de facto an outdoor mic. But i understand what you mean - there's better mics indoors for sure like your ME64.

NTG1 is much more directional and for certain subjects /situ's it should give better results outdoors. It will pickup less sound from the side than your ME64 and so bring the subject 'up in the mix'. Really i think you just gotta get one and see, or borrow one or something. Maybe someone's got some links to asound samples for ME64 and NTG1 in outdoors scenario?
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2006, 10:35 AM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Stowe
What really is the overall advantage of the Rode mic outdoors? Or any outdoor mic for that matter? I have the ME-64 and do a lot of shooting indoors, but bbout 40% of what I shoot is outdoors...would I really notice that much of a difference by going with a different mic? I do not do anything professional, but love to get the best from what I have so I would really like to know what I would expect from an outdoor mic?

Thanks everyone...
What are you expecting from it?

Unless you are close to the subject (10-15 ft.), a shotgun mic will be useless outdoors and indoors (unless loud environment) as well.

Also shotgun mics are not good for indoor use, as they are too directional and record the bouncing soundwaves from the walls. A hypercardiod or stereo mic is best for this use.
Also, a shotgun mic is not totally directional, like some would be led to believe. It will pickup low level requqncies in the middles of the shaft element.

Anyway, the NTG1/2 or ME66 isn't bad for outdoors, but you must be close to the subect to work well. You can do this either by hiding teh mic somewhere up close and feed your camera or mixer via wireless or direct cable.

Or want good L/R outdoor ambiant sound, then go for a streo mic, like the AT822/825 or AT835ST (although more expensive, is a splendid stereo mic).
Old May 30th, 2006, 10:08 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Was more of a general question of the difference. I do not have the option to borrow one in my neck of the woods or even purchase one locally. I guess I was just curious if it is better at blocking out certain surrounding noises than the ME64. I really like the ME-64, but would like to know the benefits of a shotgun outdoors. Samples would be great.

Thanks
Michael Stowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2006, 09:01 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Stowe
I guess I was just curious if it is better at blocking out certain surrounding noises than the ME64.
Answer to that should definitely be 'yes'. I agree Me64 / NTG1/NTG2 etc samples (not studio samples, but real world outdoor samples) would be good to hear it.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio