DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Combining Left and Right Channels (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/68635-combining-left-right-channels.html)

Anthony Marotti June 1st, 2006 05:18 AM

Combining Left and Right Channels

ello Everyone!

I find that some of my corporate clients actually have setups that only play one channel of audio. Now they are too numerous for me to police, and they wouldn't appreciate that anyway, so I need a consistent and easy solution.

First let me say, please take my word for it they, for whatever reason, sometimes loose one of the channels and I want to just leave that at that.

So when I am recording different audio on each channel, say I have two actors miced separately, I can't just fill right or left, for obvious reasons... I would loose one of the actors dialog.

PPro doesn't seem to have very good native control over stereo handling and when you deal with hundreds and even thousands of clips it is not very convenient to go out to Audition.

How can I merge the left and right channels so that they each contain the others information as well as there own?

Thanks!

Douglas Spotted Eagle June 1st, 2006 06:28 AM

You can generate a mono track in Audition
you can pan both actors dialog near to dead center, where for the most part, they should be anyway. Primary dialog should rarely be taken out of the 10o'clock/2o'clock positions. DV won't accept a mono signal, it will split a mono signal into 2 mono signals. If you more or less center everything, you should be just find on a mono system unless you generate some phase issues in your mix.
you may need to duplicate audio on a second track simply because you've recorded everything as two mono signals, not a stereo signal on your camera. Recording two discreet signals to a camcorder is common, necessary, and easy to duplicate and mix.

Anthony Marotti June 1st, 2006 11:21 AM

Thanks Douglas!

Saturnin Kondratiew June 3rd, 2006 09:38 AM

i duplicate the audio track and on the top track i fill in left and bottom fill in right(those are options in the audio drop down)

Anthony Marotti June 7th, 2006 06:37 AM

New Info

Hello Everyone :-)

Thanks for all of the replies! I used one of the suggestions that you pointed me to and found that it worked great... except it started crashing my system.

So here it is, maybe it will be a heads-up for some, and maybe someone will know why it happens and how to fix it.

I created Mono Submix track in my Stereo Sequence and mapped the output of my Audio Track to it. That made a perfectly acceptable Track. So I got what I wanted.... kinda

NOTE: I balanced the audio using the Balance Audio Filter to make sure that the levels were matched for the Left and Right channels first.

The only problem is that when I went to render, the system crashed with the message saying that "PPro encountered a serious problem and would have to shut down and would attempt to save my project."

The Workaround that I used was to re-route the Audio Track to Master, turn off the Audio Track - Render - then turn the Audio Track back on and re-route it to the Submix Track before exporting the Sequence.

What do you think of that??

PS PPro 2 never crashed before this and now it crashed on a different (NEW) project when I opened the Capture window!?!

Maybe I corrupted a file?

Maybe if I delete it PPro 2 will recreate it?

Any suggestions?

Saturnin Kondratiew June 7th, 2006 09:28 AM

yo

i actually took all my audio tracks to get proffesnionaly mastered few days ago, and the guy laughed at me when he saw the left and right channel audio tracks sitting on top of each other and said i dont need that.