AKG Wireless Lavalier Setup at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 3rd, 2006, 05:09 AM   #1
Major Player

AKG Wireless Lavalier Setup

Hi everyone,

I've been looking for a wireless lavalier microphone system for my VX2100 and I've also asked some advice in this forum. I was almost going to get the Sennheiser Evolution G2 until 3 days ago when a friend put me in contact with her friend who's a big music instruments dealer here and especially at AKG mikes. I was wondering what they are offering and although being rather skeptic, I still decided to have a closer look. They showed me the components (Receiver, Transmitter and Lavalier) and thanks to the friendship I was allowed to take the setup home and try if I like it. After having tested it in different situations, I have decided to forget about Sennheiser and get the AKG. Firstly, I'm getting it for a better price, it's professional class and delivers the results I'm perfectly satisfied with.

I'm wondering what do you guys and girls think about this setup? Anyone has longer experiences with any of these AKG products?

Receiver - PR40 (UHF) BH Link
Transmitter - PT40, has mini-XLR input for the mic BH Link
Lavalier - C417, professional miniature condenser microphone BH Link

Total approx. market price: 587 USD

Thank you!
Old June 3rd, 2006, 05:43 AM   #2
Fred Retread

I don't have this system, but here's what I do know:

AKG is a high quality manufacturer.
The claimed working distance of 100 meters is good
True diversity operation is a definite plus--the G2 system is not true diversity

Single channel operation is a minus. If you have local interference on that channel, you're out of luck. The G2 offers multiple channel operation.

The G2 is very compact and pleasant to work with, and the receiver is camera mountable. the PR-40 is not designed for camera mounting, but I see that AKG does offer camera mountable true diversity receivers at a higher price.
Old June 3rd, 2006, 08:21 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Everything but field

I havent used AKG wireless on any high-end gigs but on some mide level projects, they've come through. These are only live sound gigs, not video, with the table top receivers.

I dont know of anyone that uses AKG for wireless field applications, usually Sennheiser, Zaaxcom, and Lectro. I cant speak for the build quality of their field equipment, I can speak for the Sennheisers.

I do use AKG in the studio (C414 line) and that is where they really do shine.
Daniel Wang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio