PD170 microphone - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 30th, 2006, 05:53 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst

If you're doing ADR or a voiceover in an untreated room, consider a dynamic mic, and get right on top of it. The lower quality of the mic is offset by avoiding the sound of a low quality room.

Dynamic mics are not necessarily lower quality mics. Arguably the standard studio mics in radio broadcasting in North America are the ElectroVoice RE20 and RE27 dynamics and it's the rare radio station that doesn't own a handfull. Rush Limbaugh's "Golden Microphone" is a gold-plated RE20, FWIW. Cardioid dynamics like the EVs don't suffer from the "proximity effect" of increased bass emphasis with close working distances that are characterisitc of condensor mics. They're also very rugged and can be a good choice for applications like close-micing a kick-drum.
Old July 30th, 2006, 08:47 PM   #17
New Boot

I have had to play with the sound in post on both weddings and receptions that I have done with the pd170. I need to find an onboard mic that doesn't sound like we're in a car. Something with much more ambient bass.

Any other suggestions?
Troy Christie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2006, 02:46 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Christie
I have had to play with the sound in post on both weddings and receptions that I have done with the pd170. I need to find an onboard mic that doesn't sound like we're in a car. Something with much more ambient bass.

Any other suggestions?
You have the physics of acoustics working against you when you use any on-board mic and the result is that hollow, "in a closet," sound. You're going to have that with virtually any mic located on the camera itself because the camera location is rarely close enough for proper sound pickup. You need a mic that's OFF the camera and within a couple of feet of the sound source - that probably means lavs on the participants for the ceremony and other mics on the podium and handheld during the reception.
Old July 31st, 2006, 01:02 PM   #19
Regular Crew

I am going use a PD170 for a wedding soon and just want some basic audio settings advice.

I read a lot of information and what channels to use and what settings to have on, but its bit confusion as I am not so clued up on the audio side of things.

I am only going to use one microphone on the camera and just want to know which channel to connect it to, and what settings to have on or off.

Any help would be much appreciated
Thanks
Simon Antoniou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2006, 07:53 AM   #20
Major Player

Are you using a wireless mic and the stock mic? Or just the stock mic?
Richard Zlamany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2006, 09:48 AM   #21
Regular Crew

just the stock Mic...
Old August 1st, 2006, 12:40 PM   #22
Major Player

A good way to set up the pd170 for recording with the stock mic is to send the audio to 1st and 2nd channel. The 1st channel should use the AGC and the 2nd channel should not use AGC. The level should be set by you. This way you can have two different channels of audio at different levels one level is controlled by the camera automatically and the other is set by you. Then in editing you can use the better sounding audio for the output.

Go into the menus to set the AGC settings. Channel 1 is on. Channel 2 is off. Then plug the mic into channel 1 and the 1st switch on the box to channel 1 & 2. Set the next switch to mic, the 3rd switch to 48V on, the 4th to mic (doesn't matter), and the 5th to off.

Turn off NR and wind.

Set the audio level for channel 2 with the silver audio level button.

However, the stock mic sounds bad when far away from the sound source. So if you want good sound be near a speaker or close to the bride and groom. It is important to hear the vows and miking the groom or the officiant with a wireless is a good way to achieve this.

Good luck.
Old August 1st, 2006, 05:18 PM   #23
Regular Crew

If i want to fit the groom with a wireless mic I guess need to purchase another mic and a receiver to plug in the camera, right? Sounds expensive...
Old August 1st, 2006, 07:09 PM   #24
Major Player

It is well worth the purchase. Vows are important and sometimes if not most of the time the emotion the couple is feeling makes it impossible for anyone to hear the vows. A wireless on the groom fixes this problem.
Old August 2nd, 2006, 02:43 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Thanks for the help so far...

What do i actaully need to purchase for the wireless system?? clip-on mic, receiver, transmitter?

What about the option of recording on a MiniDisc fitted on the groom?
Old August 2nd, 2006, 08:00 AM   #26
Major Player

Yes. Here is a link showing some good wireless systems.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...rch&Q=&ci=9450

A MiniDisc is a good idea too and cheaper. The only disadvantage is the MiniDisc audio level's can't be monitored or adjusted as easily.

I use the iriver 895 with a giant squid mic.

The wireless I use for the groom. The iriver I use for the readers or sometimes near a church speaker.

Sometimes the pd170 stock mic sounds ok in a small wooden church with the right sound system. Often the stock mix sounds horrible especially in a giant stone church. Sometimes the camera location in the church is ideal for the shot but not for sound. Since the stock mic is on the camera there isn't too many options for it.

Let us know how it turns out.
Old August 2nd, 2006, 08:32 AM   #27
Regular Crew

hmm, I think i am going top have to stick with minidisc for that extra recording for now, as Im still a student.

I know the minidisc has to have "Mic in" on as an input, but what are the other features it needs for it to be suitible and able to transfer to PC?

Thanks
Old August 4th, 2006, 05:11 PM   #28
Inner Circle

Here's a sample of what a 4051a sounds like atop a PD-170.

A Mic Muff was used for some wind protection. The boat is running slowly so there's not a lot of engine noise.

I was perhaps 4 to 5 feet from the host and guest.

http://www.hawaiigoesfishing.com/vid...51a_sample.mp4

Here's another:

http://www.hawaiigoesfishing.com/videos/4051sample.aif

This was a string quartet playing outside of an art gallery, shot strictly for B-roll from about 7 feet away. The overall quality caught me by surprise as I wasn't shooting for sound but just for the sake of getting visuals. Again, the mic was mounted atop the PD-170.
Old August 4th, 2006, 10:16 PM   #29
Trustee

Dean, the fishing stuff sounded nice.
Does the Mike Muff slip over the top of the
4051 foam windscreen? Is there elastic on the
base of the Mic Muff?

Last edited by Dave Largent; August 5th, 2006 at 01:07 AM.
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2006, 12:31 AM   #30
Inner Circle

Dave...

Yes, the Mic Muff slips over the existing foam windscreen or you can get one from them.

However, it's not that effective once the wind starts getting brisk. I just ordered a Lightwave windscreen that provides some dead air space between the wind fur and the mic. I've been told it's very effective in windy conditions.

This mic consistently surprises me with its performance as an on-camera mic. I've shot several situations where I actually selected this mic over the lav that was rigged for production, and the on-camera mic was supposed to be the backup.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio