DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   First Impressions of Edirol R-09 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/69139-first-impressions-edirol-r-09-a.html)

Michael Liebergot June 8th, 2006 08:35 AM

First Impressions of Edirol R-09

This is a quick first impression review of the new Edirol R-09 recorder. I currently own and use a M-Audio Microtrack recorder, which I will be making comparisons to.

Edirol R-09, just using the built in mics: (I did these tests recording songs from my monitor speakers at various loudness levels, and ambiant room audio)
1. Sensativity: The mics are very sensative, and when placed close to the sound source, easily isolate the sound, but when placed farther away from the source, easily pickup sound from the sides. The internal mics would be best suited for ambiant room audio pickup, or definitely readings (placed on pulpit) during a ceremony.
2. Sound and noise: The sound was very clean with little noise, even at quiet passages
3. Mic Gain: When used at high decibles, the mic gain switch switch should be set to low. When this is done the R-09 worked well, as it should preventing clipping and enabling me to record at higher input levels.
3. Level Meters: Level and peak light meters, responded very quickly and accurately
4. Setup: Setup was as simple as could be, including firmware update (although the M-Audio is a bit easier)
5. Transfer Speed: Transfer to computer via USB, is super fast. (I would normally not use the unit to transfer audio, as I would use my 12-1 card reader to do so)
6. Build Quality: The body is plastic, but has a good solid feel to it (doesn't feel like it is going to fal apart, like my Microtrack does). Having seperate 1/8 mic and line in jacks on the top is a welcome addition as well, as there's no having to go into the system menu to setup input feed, just plug i you line to the appropriate jack and you're set. The black and silver look is sexy, and the addition of the Record Button being bright Red while in standby or Recording is a welcome feature, as it's easy to tell when you are recording and when you are not.
7. The Screen: Fantastic and easy to read Black and White Screen. The best I have seen to date!
8. Conclusion: At first glance the R-09 is easy and fast to operate, as the menu is laid out simply, and is not really needed, as most of the functions needed for recording setup and operation are external (Thank you Edirol). Aas a result setup and usage of the R-09 is very well suited for a quick necessary setup, when going from 2 different locations, and setup time is at a premium (It takes me much longer to setup and set levels on my Microtrack).
The unit performed without a hitch (Good firmware, especially for 1st gereation, although this is really the R-1 shrunk down) while recording for 1.5 hours straight, and the audio was supprisingly clean a crisp (for built in mics). The addition of having Balanced XLR or even 1/4 TRS inputs, would have been nice, but for someone like myself who won't be using long cable runs with this unit, is not a real concern of mine.
All in all, it looks like Edirol may have a real winner here, more testing will tell.

Next up for me will be recording using external AT822 mic fed into R-09, as well as using my PSC Promix 3 Mixer and matched pair of Rode NT5's fed into the R-09's Line In.
More to come...

John Grzinich June 9th, 2006 05:42 AM

great info

I'm thinking about getting an R-09. I have an AT22 so I'm very curious about your results, especially comparing any noise levels with the Microtrack. I am often recording quiet sources in nature and noise is always an issue.

Michael Liebergot June 9th, 2006 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Grzinich
I'm thinking about getting an R-09. I have an AT22 so I'm very curious about your results, especially comparing any noise levels with the Microtrack. I am often recording quiet sources in nature and noise is always an issue.

I did three tests this morning: The test was recording 1 stereo speaker playing Dixie Chicks Landslide (good low parts and some high peaked parts as well).

1. AT822 mic fed into R-09 mic jack. The result was good with the audio being a little bit on the bassy side, which is to be expected recording through a speaker. Noise recection was fairly good, as the only noise that was heard was my computer fan during low passages. The mid levels were clear and sharp.

2. R-09 using onboard mics. the onboard mics are much more sensative all around and picked up much more of my computer fan during low passages. The overall sound was a bit crisper and chirpier than using the AT822 mic, with a little bit of low end loss in the signal. Noise recection was not as good as AT822 mic, as these mics are very sensative to off axis noise. Overall sound was stil pretty good, although I would take a good external mic over the built in for instrument recording.

3. AT822 fed into PSC Promix 3 mixer and sent to R-09 line in. As expected this was the best scenerio, as the noise level was knocked down considerably, as I was able to send a hotter signal (due to the built in limiters) to the R-09 eliminating more of the noise floor. The sound was crisp and extremely acceptable for a monitor speaker recording. The recording was not nearly as bassy due to the 20 db rolloff, and highs were extremely crisp. I believe I might have had the mic at a slight angle and not as straight on compared to the straight AT822 and built in mic tests, which may have contributed to the slightly crisper sound. Either way, for the VERY BEST results a pro field mixer is recommended.

My conclusion:
BEST: Mic to mixer to R-09
Very Good: External Mic to R-09
Good: Built in mics

Hope this helps some...more to come later.

Guy Cochran June 9th, 2006 12:06 PM

Thanks for the scoop Michael. Any chance you could put a .wav or mp3 file up when you attach the AT822 lav and record? I'd be interested in hearing what kind of sound you're getting.

David Erceg-Hurn June 15th, 2006 05:23 AM

I'd be interested in hearing some sound samples as well if possible.

BTW thanks for all the info Michael. The R-09 sounds like a great little unit.

Michael Liebergot June 15th, 2006 06:53 AM

Here ya go ya'll....

I have posted some samples from my test online, but in order to keep my sites monthly bandwidth from being maxed out, have only posted the link in a few online forums.

But since I haven't been swamped here, and only had a few requests for samples. I trust to give it out here.

So for samples of my test go here:
http://www.lvproductions.net/audiosamples

BTW: For best results, you should be listening through stereo speakers, as your built in mono speakers will not yield the best results. Also depending on your connection speed, and how many hits my site may be taking at a time, you may want to download the samples to your desktop for previewing.

Michael Liebergot June 15th, 2006 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy Cochran
Thanks for the scoop Michael. Any chance you could put a .wav or mp3 file up when you attach the AT822 lav and record? I'd be interested in hearing what kind of sound you're getting.

Guy, BTW the AT822 is not a lav mic, but a stereo mic with 2 seperate (L/R) elements.