Rode Ntg-1 for sports/eng? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 12th, 2006, 07:23 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Rode Ntg-1 for sports/eng?

Found out that i can't afford the k6 and me64/66 from sennheiser. Started looking for a alternative, the no more than 300$ for the mic without windscreen, etc is my budget.

I mostly do small reality/doc(if anyone watched dropin freeride, that about what we are doing), which is about 90% outdoors, producing for both dvd and web with my panasonic dvc30. There will be some ENG use to, not much, but some.

What I need is a universal mic, which ofcourse don't exist. So a compromise is what i'll end up with. The mic can't be to long either because the wide angle lens will make shure the mic is visible in the frame if it's to long.

After browsing the web the Rode NTG-1 seems like a good mic, good value. Will this work ok for work I do? Or any other suggestions?
Christian Magnussen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2006, 03:08 AM   #2
Major Player

I'm a producer of a couple of tv shows and use a Sennheiser G2 lav. in combination with the NTG1 if there's no budget for a sound guy. I must say, both my regular sound guy and I are very impressed with the results. One of the shows contains a lot of live music performances. What I do is but the mic on a stand to keep the sound the same. Works perfectly and doesn't sound low budget at al. So yes, in my opinion perfectly for Sports/ENG.
Vincent Rozenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2006, 08:33 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Vincent - as the NTG1 is phantom-power only (NTG2 is phantom or internal battery and is a bit longer) am i right in thinking that you are using the SKP500 plug-on transmitter with the NTG1?

Or are you just using the NTG1 plugged straight into the G2 Evolution transmitter? - I'm asking as i didn't know if the latter was possible due to NTG1's power requirements.

thanks in advance for any info on that.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2006, 08:50 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Holmes
Hi Vincent - as the NTG1 is phanton-power only (NTG2 is phantom or internal battery and is a bit longer) am i right in thinking that you are using the SKP500 plug-on transmitter with the NTG1?

Or are you just using the NTG1 plugged straight into the G2 Evolution transmitter? - I'm asking as i didn't know if the latter was possible due to NTG1's power requirements.

AFAIK the G2 transmitter does not provide phantom power. Look at the AT 897 before comitting and the Rode NTG2 is a good choice also.
Old June 13th, 2006, 10:27 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I've looked at the at 897 as well, but the Ntg-1 is more suited for my camera and setup due to its length. The ntg-2 is the same mic, but with battery power, any good reason to by this instead of the ntg-1?
I don't thin i will use a wireless transmitter in the nearest future, but you'l never know.
Christian Magnussen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2006, 01:48 PM   #6
DVCreators.Net

I'd go for the RODE NTG-2 as you can later use the less expensive SKP 100 plug on transmitter that is bundled in the $599 Sennheiser EW100ENG G2 kit. If you get the NTG-1, you're kinda stuck with having to go with the SKP 500. I do know what you mean though about how a shorter shotgun can be more convenient, but still I'd rather future proof my purchase as once you use a wireless shotgun on a boom for run n' gun reality/doc work it's kinda hard to go back to using wires. Not sure what camera you're using, but most anything under $5k doesn't have timecode to sync to a field recorder, so I'd rather go wireless and have my sound locked to the picture.

Sure SKP 500 is nice, but sucks down the batteries. (Same two AA's supporting the transmitter and supplying phantom) Save your money and go SKP 100 if you ever go wireless.
Old June 13th, 2006, 02:03 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Magnussen
I've looked at the at 897 as well, but the Ntg-1 is more suited for my camera and setup due to its length. The ntg-2 is the same mic, but with battery power, any good reason to by this instead of the ntg-1?
I don't thin i will use a wireless transmitter in the nearest future, but you'l never know.
If your camera supplies phantom or you use it with a mixer or preamp with phantom htne the NTG1 is fine. Was only suggesting the '2 in relation to its internal battery. Likewise, if you have source of phantom the AT4073 is an excellent mic, though a bit over the budget you mentioned,
Old June 13th, 2006, 02:37 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Holmes
Hi Vincent - as the NTG1 is phantom-power only (NTG2 is phantom or internal battery and is a bit longer) am i right in thinking that you are using the SKP500 plug-on transmitter with the NTG1?

No I use them side by side, so a NTG1 on the camera or boom (wired) and a G2 lav. or the plug in on channel 2. A NTG2 is on my wish list..
Vincent Rozenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2006, 08:16 AM   #9
Major Player

I have a Rode NTG-2 and it's a great on-camera mic outdoors at a distance of 6-10 feet. Indoors, up close or in a reflective room, it's not good.

I'm getting a Sennheiser ME-64 in the hopes it will be a better all-purpose eng mic. When I'm recording someone right up close to the camera, I think it will be better, but will still be useable at some distance. Anyone have feedback on the ME-64?

Everything's a compromise and the right tool for the job is always better, but if you have to do news coverage where you're jumping from one situation to another, I've found the NTG-2 too narrow. (I think the sound characteristics are the same on the NTG-1?)

Chuck
Chuck Fadely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2006, 09:42 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Fadely
I have a Rode NTG-2 and it's a great on-camera mic outdoors at a distance of 6-10 feet. Indoors, up close or in a reflective room, it's not good.

I'm getting a Sennheiser ME-64 in the hopes it will be a better all-purpose eng mic. When I'm recording someone right up close to the camera, I think it will be better, but will still be useable at some distance. Anyone have feedback on the ME-64?

Everything's a compromise and the right tool for the job is always better, but if you have to do news coverage where you're jumping from one situation to another, I've found the NTG-2 too narrow. (I think the sound characteristics are the same on the NTG-1?)

Chuck
The NTG-1 and -2 are the same mic with the addition of battery power in the -2.

The ME64 is a cardioid. You might find a good hyper is better than either the NTG-2 or the ME64 for indoors on-camera use, giving you more "reach" than a plain cardioid without the colouration and critical aiming of a shotgun. I would also expect the ME64 to pick up more camera handling noises due to its wider acceptance pattern.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio