Rode NTG-1 vs NTG-2 vs A-T AT835b at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 16th, 2006, 03:42 PM   #1
New Boot

Rode NTG-1 vs NTG-2 vs A-T AT835b

Hey,

I'm trying to pick out a mic for a short film I'm putting together. I've narrowed it down to pretty much three choices (the Rode NTG-1, the Rode NTG-2, and the Audio-Technica AT835b) that are in my price range, however I'm not experienced enough in audio to be able to tell what's the best purchase.

I'll probably boom mount the microphone if that would influence the decision. I don't really know the difference between the longer models (NTG-2 and AT835b) and the shorter model (NTG-1) either, and how that would alter the sound. As I mentioned before, I'm not experienced in audio (but I'm willing to learn)... all I know are prices and included accessories (hehe).

Thanks a lot,
Chris
Chris Van Patten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 09:13 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Van Patten
Hey,

I'm trying to pick out a mic for a short film I'm putting together. I've narrowed it down to pretty much three choices (the Rode NTG-1, the Rode NTG-2, and the Audio-Technica AT835b) that are in my price range, however I'm not experienced enough in audio to be able to tell what's the best purchase.

I'll probably boom mount the microphone if that would influence the decision. I don't really know the difference between the longer models (NTG-2 and AT835b) and the shorter model (NTG-1) either, and how that would alter the sound. As I mentioned before, I'm not experienced in audio (but I'm willing to learn)... all I know are prices and included accessories (hehe).

Thanks a lot,
Chris
The NTG-1 and the NTG-2 are essentially the same mic with the same sound. The difference is that the -2 had an internal battery so it can be used without a source of external power while the -1 does not and so requires phantom power. The difference in length is due to the additional space required on the back-end of the -2 to make room for the battery holder. The actual microphone parts of the two mics are identical.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio