DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Recording in dolby 5.1 surround (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/69756-recording-dolby-5-1-surround.html)

Vic Macky June 18th, 2006 02:05 AM

Recording in dolby 5.1 surround

Is there a way to record audio in dolby surround 5.1 in Optura 60? Will it be external mic based or software based? it's not like im going to do a movie or something but i just want to know if there is a way just in case i thought of making a surround sound home video.

any comments or inputs will be greatly appreciated.

Giroud Francois June 18th, 2006 02:47 AM

nobody records in 5.1
usually, you choose to record as much signals you need to recreate a good 5.1 in studio.
one channel for background sound (but you can choose to record it in stereo)
2 channels for dialogues (i said 2 channels, not stereo, there is a difference)
the .1 channel is usually only bass surround created in studio.
the front left/right is usually made from the 2 channels for dialogues)
the center is usually a mix of dialogues.

Daniel Wang June 18th, 2006 01:05 PM

My audio guy has a Schoeps 5.1 setup, two figure8's and a hyper in the Schoeps special shockmount. It's a pain to boom that but it sounds great. Hard to explain but see below

^
______________ H ___________________
Figure8 y Figure8
___________>>_ p ____<<_____________
e
r

K. Forman June 18th, 2006 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giroud Francois
nobody records in 5.1

According to the commercial, with the new Sony Handycam, you can record straight to DVD in surround, using their optional BluTooth enabled mic.

Yes, I watch too many commercials.

Steve House June 18th, 2006 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Forman
According to the commercial, with the new Sony Handycam, you can record straight to DVD in surround, using their optional BluTooth enabled mic.

Yes, I watch too many commercials.

I wonder what they're really doing with this. Checking the Sony website this is a mono omni wireless mic using Bluetooth instead of the usual radio frequencies. The site's blurb says ...

# Capture the sounds from a distance or in the middle of a crowd
# Records in true 5.1 channel centre sound with compatible Handycam camcorder models
# Line of sight working range of approximately 30 metres (100 feet) with Bluetooth® wireless connectivity

Kinda sounds like it might be providing the centre channel while the stereo mic on the camera provides the L&R. Kind of curious how they get the rear channels - perhaps synthesizing them from the stereo front?

Emre Safak June 18th, 2006 03:20 PM

Who cares? It's going to sound like ****. You can't get something for nothing.

Steve House June 18th, 2006 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emre Safak
Who cares? It's going to sound like ****. You can't get something for nothing.

Oh I agree with that and wouldn't touch it myself with an 11-foot pole (my patented Spinal Tap poking stick)! I'm just curious what techno-tricks they're doing to fool the consumer into thinking they're really getting 5.1 surround.

Jon Fairhurst June 18th, 2006 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic Macky
Is there a way to record audio in dolby surround 5.1 in Optura 60? Will it be external mic based or software based? it's not like im going to do a movie or something but i just want to know if there is a way just in case i thought of making a surround sound home video.

For a home video, just do it in software, like Vegas + DVD.

Record the dialog on the built-in camera mic. (You said it was a home video. I'll assume no boom poles or special equipment.) Mix the dialog to the center channel. Mix in music to the front L/R channels in stereo. Mix ambient noises (crickets, whatever) and sound effects to the rear channels and front L/Rs to taste. Don't worry about the subwoofer, unless you're doing big explosions and rumbles. The sub should get only the low frequencies with the other speakers getting the main explosion frequecies from the direction necesssary. Don't have dialog during the explosions, if at all possible.

This technique is simple and works well for the audience. The dialog is clear and comes from the actors. The "orchestra" is on stage in front of you, but is panned wide to keep from stepping on the dialogue. The ambient noise surrounds you. The big booms thump.

Have fun!

Vic Macky June 19th, 2006 01:33 AM

Thank you all for your replies. I thought about the possibility of recording dolby digital 5.1 on my optura 60 when i read on my bro-in-law's sony dvd camcorder (DCR-DVD92) that it records in dolby digital. I was wrong when i misinterpreted it as recording in 5.1 surround. I guess when I read dolby digital the first thing that came to my mind is 5.1 surround and probably because it uses DVD. stupid me.

I guess its harder attaining 5.1 by hardware since its a little tricky to set up while it probably may be easier doing it by software as Jon Fairhurst said. I'll probably abandon the idea for now since i'll be doing mostly family home videos.

Thanks though for all your replies.

Dave Largent June 19th, 2006 06:04 AM

Isn't there some model of consumser cam they've
been advertising on TV that is claimed to record in
surround sound?

Greg Bellotte June 19th, 2006 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve House
I'm just curious what techno-tricks they're doing to fool the consumer into thinking they're really getting 5.1 surround.

Small L.E.D. that says "5.1" next to it. 90% of this country would then SWEAR it was surround... :-)

Steve House June 19th, 2006 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Bellotte
Small L.E.D. that says "5.1" next to it. 90% of this country would then SWEAR it was surround... :-)

I believe that! There's some really strange stuff out there passing for 5.1, even from people that should know better. Was watching one of the Detroit Hi-Def channels last night and a commercial ran where the music was in the front channels (but out of phase, comb filtering readily apparent) and the voice-over was sent to the rear channels fer cryin' out loud! My home theatre has been very carefully calibrated, video set up with smpte colour bars, audio setup with phasing checked, levels balanced with pink noise and a sound pressure meter, delay set properly for the room dimensions, etc, so when something like that happens I can be certain it's the broadcast station screwing up at their end.

A. J. deLange June 19th, 2006 04:54 PM

Check http://www.holophone.com/home.html

K. Forman June 19th, 2006 05:11 PM

AJ, the problem with that mic, would be the crew standing behind the camera getting picked up, as well as all the other unwanted ambient sounds.

Vic Macky June 19th, 2006 08:24 PM

I agree with keith i think recording 5.1 in actual video shoot will be more challenging since it may pick up alot of unwanted sounds especially from the crew behind the camera. In my view 5.1 recording will be achieved better during video editing/processing.